Jambands.ca

RIP - Don Chevrier

Basher

We got this at CBC today:

To all English Services staff: The following is for your information. This is also being distributed via iNEWS. Please pass this to your colleagues who are not on our electronic messaging services.

December 18, 2007

CBC mourns legendary sports broadcaster Don Chevrier

I am saddened to inform you that former CBC Sports broadcaster Don Chevrier has died. He was 69.

Well known as the original television voice of the Toronto Blue Jays, “Chevy,†as he was known to fans and colleagues alike, made an enormous contribution to CBC Sports.

He called his first Grey Cup Championship game for CBC in 1969 and would go on to call eight more; from 1972 to 1981, he was co-host of CBC-TV's Curling Classic program on Saturday afternoons; he also worked on the CBC Radio broadcast for the famous Muhammad Ali-George Chuvalo fight in Toronto in 1966. In addition to his work with CBC, Don called CFL football games in the 1970s for CTV, and in 1977 he began his work as the voice of the Toronto Blue Jays, an association that would last 20 years.

Don was also a contributor to ABC's popular Wide World of Sports program throughout the 1980s, primarily covering boxing. And along with longtime partner Don Duguid, Don called curling at the 2002 Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City and 2006 Winter Games in Turin, Italy, for NBC.

Along with his unique voice, Don was known for his amazing versatility. During his career, he won two Nellie Awards, in the United States, as national sportscaster of the year, and in 2004 Sports Media Canada honoured him with their annual Achievement Award.

I worked with Don on the 1991 Canada Cup of Hockey for CTV. He was a consummate pro, and one of the great storytellers in our industry.

Don was in Toronto just last month for the Grey Cup game. While in town, he attended our dinner celebrating the launch of the CBC Sports Hall of Fame and was interviewed in our feature showcasing memorable Grey Cup moments.

Please join me in remembering a legendary sports broadcaster--Don Chevrier. He will be missed.

Scott Moore

Executive Director

CBC Sports

He did Senators broadcasts too back in the mid-90s. A sad loss for the sports world.

I remember Don Chevrier announcing the very first Blue Jay game. I was in grade 7 and the teachers gave students the option to watch the game on TVs set up in the lunchroom. Of course, everyone chose to watch the game instead of go to class.

Thanks for passing along that tribute Kev.