Jambands.ca

Spreading the Love

Schwa.

An Arizona surgeon faces a disciplinary hearing - and possibly a lawsuit - after snapping a photo of a patient's tattooed genitals during an operation and showing it to other doctors.

Officials at the Mayo Clinic Hospital in Phoenix say Dr. Adam Hansen, chief resident of general surgery, admits taking the cellphone photo Dec. 11.

The tattoo on strip club owner Sean Dubowik's penis reads: "Hot Rod."

A member of the surgical staff made an anonymous call about the photo to the Arizona Republic newspaper Monday.

Dubowik, 27, who was in hospital for a gallbladder operation, says he got the tattoo on a bet, describing it as "the most horrible thing I ever went though in my life."

He plans to contact a lawyer, saying "the longer I sit here, the angrier I get."

Hansen wasn't available for comment and has been placed on administrative leave. He could face a range of punishment from probation to dismissal.

"Patient privacy is a serious matter, and photographing someone in this manner without a good reason is something we will investigate down to the last detail," said Dr. Joseph Sirven, education director for Mayo Clinic Arizona, the hospital's parent organization based in Scottsdale.