Jambands.ca

Blame Canada

SolarGarlic

some excerpts:

Every song on my hard drive comes from a CD in my collection or from a CD in someone else's collection which I have found on a P2P network. In either case I will have made the copy and will claim safe harbor under the "private copying" provision. If you find that song in my shared folder and make a copy this will also be "private copying." I have not made you a copy, rather you have downloaded the song yourself.

...and

in Canada it is expressly legal to share music. If the RIAA were to somehow succeed in shutting down every "supernode" in America all this would do is transfer the traffic to the millions of file sharers in Canada. And, as 50% of Canadians on the net have broadband (as compared to 20% of Americans) Canadian file sharers are likely to be able to meet the demand.

...and

There is no political interest at all in revisiting the Copyright Act. Any lobbying attempt by the RIAA to change the copyright rules in Canada would be met with a howl of anger from nationalist Canadians who are not willing to further reduce Canada's sovereignty. (These folks are still trying to get over NAFTA.) [smile]

I LOVE CANADA

Say, on a different note, how come when I go to look for a serial number (ahem..when I lose the one that came with my LEGITIMITELY PURCHASED PRODUCT) there are so many websites based in russia, or the former eastern bloc? It seems wierd that they'd be struggling economically yet have enough of the technology for warez and hacker sites.

Archived