Jambands.ca

CSA (community supported agriculture)!

timouse

for the third glorious year running, we have signed up for a CSA share at our local organic farm.

any of you skanks ever done this? for $400 a season, we get more vegetables than we can eat once a week direct from the farm, plus get to talk with the folks that grew our food and see how things are going. during the summer, we hardly eat anything with a barcode on it :)

check out the link again for a list of farms in ontario that offer this program.

Well, you get a load a veggies that are in season. Once I got (among other veggies) about 2pds of onion...and well, how many onions can you eat really? You don't get a bit of everything every delivery, only what is in season...but at a really good price.

I loved all the fresh peppers and carrots, zucchini and tomatoes...things like beets I shared with my friends if I got too many.

I had to go and pick them up the community centre, so if you don't have a car it could be hard.

All in all, I would go for it again.

ask about trading. our CSA lets you trade for things you'd prefer...some times though, that's part of the deal. if there's a lot of one thing in a given week, then you adapt and learn new recipes.

jennifer and i joke about CSA shares as being training for eating in a world without long distance trucking of food :P