Sugaree

E: Samson & Delilah

(started just vox & drums)

Brokedown Palace

Phil Lesh, Mickey Hart

Billy Kreutzmann, Bob Weir

Joan Osborne, Jimmy Herring

Rob Barraco, Jeff Chimenti

Well, we made the 10+ hour jaunt down to the Gorge. The trip began on Saturday by taking a 2 hour detour down a long, winding, turning, hilling , sprawling, rocky/muddy, forestry trunk road that skirts alongside the majestic Alberta Rockies....IN A BRAND SPANKIN' NEW RENTAL CAR [Wink] Gotta help em break that sucker in....After popping out the other side of the dirt path, we entered the Crowsnest Pass and took off for the border...no problems at the gate this time around (the way back in was worry free too...except the girl working the booth. She was baffled by the fact that the Dead were touring and wondered who was filling the shoes of a certain fatman...)

Last time we went to the Gorge was to see Phish in July. That was one of the hottest drives/weekends I can remember. This time the drive was very comfortable and weather was superb.

Upon arriving to ther campground on Sat. night (Wildhorse Campground....great folks, great place, recommended) we were greated with the sounds of ZZ Top. They were playing @ the Gorge this fine evening and had an opening act of the "Nuge" himself. Getting to the point, the campground scene was hilarious. Deadheads and gun touting Nuge freaks. (side bar, while shopping for food at Walmart in Sandpoint, ID we found bullet casings on the parking lot ground [Roll Eyes] oddly enough, on the ride home we had to take an hour detour off the freeway in Spokane because of a stand cops were having with a gunman on the road [Eek!] . The night featured wiskey drinking bikers and rockers getting pissed out of the heads, puking, cursing, and looking for cute hippy girls to spoil. Oh, and through all the comotion, a single drum circle echoed the grounds...

In the morning we hooked up with friends that came from Victoria and some from the Nelson area. We also met some great folks from Nanaimo, one of which was transplanted from Chatham (you people are everywhere). Also raised the Red + White flag HIGH AND MIGHTY [Wink]

After a day of basking in what felt like a midsummer sun it was show time. I Really felt the first set was average. good but not mind blowing. The West LA was probably the highlight of the set for sure. In the second I think the highlights for me had to have been the Drums and Jimmy Herring's playing. I honestly don't think Ive heard him play like that before. He absolutely took over at times and it got the place going for sure. If he took the lead like that more ofter, the Dead would be on a different level. The whole second set was pretty great. Night of 1000 Stars was a nice surprise and for most of the song I kept waiting to hear Warren magically jump on stage at the right moment to sing it proper (Warren and the Allmans were actually just down the road that afternoon near Tacoma. I was hoping he would come down to have a kick at the can...). The Drums interlude was fantastic. For me, what brought it together at the end came at the peak of Sugaree. Near the end of the song, at almost perfect timing, a big shooting star went zooming accross the sky right above the stage...Id like to think it was a little wink or smile from the man himself. All in all, a fine evening of music. I have to admit that Im not overly crazy about Joan but was far from dissapointed with here presence.

Id love to hear any other perspectives from folks who were there!!

Bacon: Sorry, I can't remember her name. Davies didn't know her either but she apparently knows most folks his sisters know....thats about all I have on the Chatham sighting at the Gorge [Wink]

It was a really good trip too. Mellow and full of laughs. On a side note, I just got your package off in the mail today. Couldn't finsih before it came time to leave....

You hit the nail on the head with that one Solar, I'm only here for a second, but wow.....

Bacon. I forget her name for the life of me but she knows Ross and Korpan and all those folks, and she is a twin if that helps, a pretty good looking twin I may add.

back to the country side for me.

peaceinjam.jamesd.

Archived