Jambands.ca

Indonesian Cuisine at home

bouche

Has anyone played around with Indonesian cuisine at home? Most of the common ingredients are very similar to thai, vietnamese, and indian cuisine. Lime leaves, galangal root, tumeric root, coconut milk, corriander, cumin, cinnamon, lime, chilies, etc. However, the one standout ingredient that seems to define it is Kecap Manis (pronounced Ketchup - read about origin of Ketchup).

So right now, I've got some beef cubes marinating in a mix of kecap, garlic, chilies, ginger, and shallot. Later, I will be skewering these and grilling them. I fully expect a gorgeous caramelized exterior.

With this, we're also making an Indonesian rice dish that is made with mostly ingredients that we usually have, with the addition of the magical sweet soy sauce called kecap manis.

may see photos if my wife hasn't packed my camera ;)

for dessert, we're going to try out an indonesian treat called es cendol that looks gross, but is probably delicious. Green "worms" (some kind of green bean flour thing), coconut milk, palm sugar syrup and crushed ice.

indonesia6.jpg

that's basically grilled sugar ;) It was unbelievably tasty. I would love to share this meal sometime with fellow meat lovers ;)

maybe our next meal date with you and velvet ?

btw, that coconut drinky thing with the green worms was pretty unique. the worms had a texture unlike anything I can describe. once they're in your mouth the just sort of melt in a silky stream through your teeth. I think they grew will in the drink. After a while, they did seem more filling.

Edited by Guest

I'm craving all of these flavours today. I have fresh tumeric root, lemongrass, ginger, garlic, thai chilis, etc, in the fridge and I'm thinking of doing a curry paste from scratch.

the gas stove is INCREDIBLE for cooking. I'm feel like we've known each other all our lives.