Jambands.ca

Nothing But Nets

Velvet

I watched Colbert last night and he interviewed a guy about Nothing But Nets. The guy was so enthusiastic about what seems like such a good idea I did something I rarely do - I went to the website and donated some money.

The idea is this - 3,000 children die each day in Africa from malaria so the plan is to donate mosquito nets doused in mosquito repellent. It's $10 per net and they have donated 2,000,000 nets so far. As a guy who suffered through dengue fever (a mild form of malaria) I can tell you that the tragedy of dying from a mosquito bite must be almost equalled by the agonizing throes malaria subjects it's victims to in their final days.

One minute of my time and $10 of my money is a pittance in the face of this problem.

good idea. I was in rural africa during malarial season, and it was crazy the number of people who had it. In adults it's not too bad because once they survive a childhood with it, it becomes more like a nasty flu. Still seeing people trying to work and having to run off to puke because of f'n mosquitos was tough to handle. For kids it's wayyy more serious.