Jambands.ca

Jack Layton on the National

Birdy

HAHAHA... so i've been sitting here for the last hour watching Jack Layton answer questions from various Canadians over a variety of issues on the National. Not only is he scaring the hell out of me, but I've been sitting here thinking the entire time that Jack hasn't even really answered any of the questions head on whatsoever, but otherwise diverts them onto Stephen Harper this, Liberal government that.

Funny thing is, two seconds ago, an email comes in from a viewer doing the same thing as me. Her question was "Mr. Layton, is it possible for you to answer a question?"

HAHAH

seems like that's where the left loses out.

where the cons always have defined answers - directly addressing the question, their answers to the issues haven't fixed our problems...but andwer the questions and get a lot of traction with voters.

Where the Left loses out is their desire to illustrate that the conservatives are failing, and that their solution is more widely scoped...and when the viewer starts to tune out the Left loses footing and the voter loses trust.

people don't want to take chances with their votes.

If they did we'd have had a Natural Law MP.

I miss that party. What a great idea.

I caught a bit of the interview, and thought that Layton fumbled bigtime on a question (asked by a high-school social studies class) about his flip-flop on whether the Green Party should be included in the leaders' debate.

I was hoping he'd say something like, "Well, at the time, May was endorsing Dion, and I felt that including her wouldn't add much to the debate. But since a large number of Canadians want her in the debate, I'll go along with that." He didn't. He made some remarks about wanting to debate Harper, but didn't say anything about his change of stance, and how his previous opposition to her inclusion was at odds with inclusive politics. :thumbdown:

Aloha,

Brad

Funny thing is, two seconds ago, an email comes in from a viewer doing the same thing as me. Her question was "Mr. Layton, is it possible for you to answer a question?"
There were some nervous giggles from NDP staffers as they watched Jack Layton being interviewed by Peter Mansbridge from a room in the downtown Toronto CBC headquarters.

One viewer had emailed a comment expressing frustration by what she described as Layton avoiding straight answers to questions.

"Is it possible for you to answer a question, Mr. Layton?" the viewer asked.

"Oh no!" one staffer gasped.

Layton answered "Yes."

I felt Peter was giving it to him a little bit last night too. Especially over his cap & trade program when Peter mentioned it didn't work in other countries and saw an increase in carbon emmissions.

Jack: "Well, no it didn't Peter, blah blah blah blah"

Peter: "Well, actually it did Jack, but let's move on"

I also found it simultaneously ironic flipping back and forth between news programs listening to Prime Ministerial Candidate Jack Layton talk about cuts to big business and banking institutions "who don't need our help" and on another station watching the abismal near fatal results on Wall Street yesterday that had businesses and banks alike scrambling to last minute deal themselves away from bankruptcy.

Good times!

I only caught the very tail end of this. I wonder if it is online or if it will be repeated on the weekend. Historically, Mansbridge has always been very rude and aggressive with Layton. And of course, Layton has that tendency to stick very hard to the script, which can be painful to watch in itself.

I get the sense that they really, really don't care much for each other :)

Yep, that was in response to what Peter felt was a poor effort on the part of the NDP to address professionaly trained immigrants who come to Canada and are under-employed. Peter said something to the effect that after researching and researching, all he could really find was a 1-800 number. :)