Jambands.ca

Abraxas

SolarGarlic

Last week, I was riding home on the bus, and had a great idea for a riff. Luckily, it was a Tuesday, so I worked on it at home and brought it to Dekcuf as a possible idea for a Tuesday jam.

I was explaining it to the bass player, and said something like, "It sort of sounds like Mahavishu Orchestra." "Uh, I don't really know them too well..." "OK, it's also kind of Santana." "Great! I got it!"

Well, it wasn't "kind of Santana", it was Santana: "Incident At Neshabur", to be exact (not the very first riff, the one that comes just after the intro). I realized this much later; at the time, I thought it was an original. I guess it made an impression on me when I heard it initially, but the exact details of where it came from had vanished from my memory.

I really hadn't intended to rip stuff off from Santana*; as Harlan Ellison has said, everything you absorb over the years goes into that melting pot that is the answer to the question, "Where do you get your ideas?"

Aloha,

Brad

* But, hey, if you're gonna steal, steal from the best...

quote:

Originally posted by bradm:

Well, it wasn't "kind of Santana", it
was
Santana: "Incident At Neshabur", to be exact (not the very first riff, the one that comes just after the intro

I'd like to hear that jam, santana is one of my top 3 bands, no one did it like they did, beautiful soulful music. I just read a great book on Carlos, called Soul Sacrafice.

quote:

Originally posted by Pootie Tang:

quote:

Originally posted by bradm:

Well, it wasn't "kind of Santana", it
was
Santana: "Incident At Neshabur", to be exact (not the very first riff, the one that comes just after the intro

I'd like to hear that jam, santana is one of my top 3 bands, no one did it like they did, beautiful soulful music. I just read a great book on Carlos, called Soul Sacrafice.

I just listened to it this afternoon, and, well, it's not quite the same. The problem was that the drummer couldn't quite get the emphasis down, and the jam lost a lot of the intensity of the Santana original. [Frown]

Aloha,

Brad

Archived