Jambands.ca

So I went to a wedding tonight...

Velvet

...and I had such an awesome time! It was two musicians getting married (the guy used to play drums with an old band of mine), and it was awesome! I was a bit late - the ceremony had started already, and all the ceremony music was by live musicians playing the most beautiful gospel and jazz...the crowd was a who's who of the Ottawa jazz scene - Rob Frayne, Petr Cancurra, Mighty Popo, Mike Essoudry (the groom), and so many more. A couple of my old music profs (one of which I'm still friends with) were there. The bride's brother is a morning-show dj, and as much as I loath them, you've never heard a better wedding mc. I laughed my ass off. And when people sang to get them to kiss, they SANG. A gospel group would get up and 'Amazing Grace' your heart out, or a jazz singer would get up and make you think you snuck into a concert for free. There was no dj (thank ye gawds); The Mighty Popo was the evening's entertainment, with his eight-piece band (and constant sit-ins). For my first drink I got a beer and asked, "How much?" and the guy says "$5.50." So I'm thinking about how sober I'll be staying and fishing out the loonies when the guy says, "What am I saying, it's an open bar tonight!" Magic to my ears.

Just wanted to tell y'all that it ain't often a wedding turns out to be a concert/pile of entertainment that would normally charge a cover, but it happens.

Now how the hell do I get out to the Hunt Club Golf Club to get my car? I'm just drunk enough to report it stolen...

quote:

Originally posted by PalacePrincess:

wow, that sounds like an awesome wedding... fun for everyone, not just the bride and groom.

cheers to happily ever after.

[smile]

Palace Princess, are you as honestly as beautiful as you look??

Sweet wedding Velvet, most of the time weddings are a drain, this one sounded awesome!

You went to Jim Jerome's sister's wedding? I listen to the Team in the morning and they've been talking about it for weeks. That's funny.

Did the bride and groom ride a horse drawn carriage down Elgin St? I saw a "just married" couple doing that last night.

Archived