Jambands.ca

Opinions: Do you tip for take-out?

StoneMtn

If it's a meal with service, or I feel the staff deserves my support on a bigger bill between a number of people, then since it takes more effort, intention, and organization than a lunch or dinner special then the tip is on my mind.

If I feel that I'm tipping just because I am expected to tip then no tip from me. That money'd have bad vibes.

When a time comes that I have lots of spare cash, then I'll share my good fortune as much as I can.

Until then, I don't concern myself with tipping rules.

If I'm going out for lunch and the meal winds up being 8-10 bucks, I'm not going to go over a bill.

If I make a special request that requires effort for my enjoyment then I tip 95% of the time

That extra 5% generally gets me to go back to the business again.

Take Out Tips come from change. Repeat Business and word of mouth referrals get service people more tips than following protocols.

I tire of service etiquette easily.

Tips are for the business owners.

The whole concept of tipping allows employers to get away with paying workers unwieldly low wages. If society as a whole stopped tipping, these people would make an honest wage as they should - through their paycheque, (that would be fully taxed, I might add), and the price we see on the menu would be the price we paid (again, with the tax). Why should a waiter's hourly wage be determined by the random tipping habits of their customers when most jobs offer a firm regular paycheque?

Sorry to be redundant, but I despise tipping, and yes, I have worked several jobs where I would get tips. Hated it then too (though to a much lesser degree I'll admit).

This is the part that I am confused about. Minimum wage is going up: http://www.labour.gov.on.ca/info/minimumwage/

I see that there are different wages for a "liquor server". I don't see a different minimum wage for general server. So, wait staff make the same amount as someone else that is on minimum wage that doesn't get tips?

This unwritten rule is a little old.

what the hell is a liquor server then?