Jambands.ca

Opinions: Do you tip for take-out?

StoneMtn

Most sit-down restaurants do take-out, and I sometimes go to one and grab lunch, which I bring back to my office. Of course, the same person who hands you the take-out would otherwise be your server if you sat down.

I was once told, in no uncertain terms, by a waitress-friend that "you do not tip for take-out" when she saw me do so.

Since then, I've wondered if this is really the rule. On one hand these people are taking a couple minutes to hand the food to you, but on the other hand they are not pouring water for you or running back and forth to the kitchen (etc.), so I just don't know.

What are your thoughts? Do people here tip a server who hands you take-out?

I don't think you should tip for take-out. I don't even know why I tip for most things. We're over-tipped!

There have been times, where they've tossed a little bit extra this or that, and I'll leave a couple extra bucks. But otherwise....if I'm going to tip, I'd better seated and served like a god.

I worked at a restaurant for years that was dine-in and take out. Some people tipped in take out, some didn't. I guess it's your choice, if you think the service was good and your feeling generous go ahead. Sometimes we'd have one person on take out the whole night if it was busy and the waiters/waitresses would give a tip pool at the end of the night to the take out person. So if they made extra tips from customers, certainly not a bad thing, but I don't think you'd look bad if you didn't, definitely not required.

Tipping is not necessary for take-out orders.

However, when I used to be a server, many places made you tip out the kitchen on a portion of your sales. So doing take-out orders sucked b/c you would have to tip out on something that you didn't make money on. That being said, servers usually make enough that it more then balances out in the long run.

I usually tip $1.00 to keep the karma flowing.

As someone who works at a restaurant that does a ton of take out at the expense of dine-in customers on occasion I will say we need to be tipped a little on take out. Just %5 or something nominal like a buck or two adds up for the server and makes working a less than minimum wage job a liveable wage at least.

Typically the server has taken the order, often packed it up, taken payment and a modest tip is appropriate but often not forthcoming. That said many of my customers routinely tip as much as five bucks on take out realizing I've taken their order, filled it etc. and also that they probably would have been dining in otherwise.

Tips are for the business owners.

The whole concept of tipping allows employers to get away with paying workers unwieldly low wages. If society as a whole stopped tipping, these people would make an honest wage as they should - through their paycheque, (that would be fully taxed, I might add), and the price we see on the menu would be the price we paid (again, with the tax). Why should a waiter's hourly wage be determined by the random tipping habits of their customers when most jobs offer a firm regular paycheque?

Sorry to be redundant, but I despise tipping, and yes, I have worked several jobs where I would get tips. Hated it then too (though to a much lesser degree I'll admit).