Jambands.ca

Tom Marshall on Phantasy Tour

Basher

Some neat info on there, if you scroll through and just look for TomMarshall:

TomMarshall

Posted: 10/02/09 12:38AM ET

"Does Trey know you PT and does he ask you what the buzz around here is? Does he hate us? Any of the bandmembers pt that you know about?"

I ignored this question based upon my worry that I won't be able to answer it well...so, yes, he knows I'll check in with PT now and then, and especially after a show or some Phish news. So, yes, he'll sometimes ask me to summarize a thread for him -- I find I give it to him fairly true, but with some mild censorship if needed now and then. Hate? No -- he can't believe what gets posted sometimes, and it was injurious to him because he takes the shows and people's reactions so personally -- how could he not? As for other members, I've seen Mike and Brad in the old days get on PT and read some threads aloud to the bus. These days, i have no idea what's going on with the other dudes.

Here's a rough transcription of the Q&A from the second thread, with all the fluff removed. I left out the last question as NW posted it above.

PTer: when you are writing a new song, do you like to start with a basic image/idea/story, and flesh it out, or do you just kind of go with the first thing that pops in your head, and then run with it? obviously i can see both happening and regular basis, but i guess i am wondering if there is one way more than the other.

TM: always a concept merges with a "cool last line" for me to have a song start -- the "cool last line" usually ends up the last line of the first verse...

PTer: do you get paid when they perform your songs or just from album sales?

TM: bands that earn a lot of money when they play live (and I don't know what the cutoff is) are closely monitored so that if they play another artists music, they have to pay royalties -- because of this requirement, Phish has to submit a playlist to BMI and ASCAP at the end of each tour -- guess who one of the main writers of songs turns out to be? so in this way, yes, I make money from the live shows

PTer: Are you ever bringing Amphibian back to The Saint or Stone Pony in Asbury? Those shows were good times!

TM: no Amfibian in the cards for a while -- happily no live stuff going on for me at the moment, but definitely getting some cool writing done...and when I get an album's worth...if I feel like playing out, I will

PTer: I would like to know why you stopped posting as SimpleTwist. And whether you ever finished your elaborate tree fort?

TM: I think because I liked all the people saying that I'm not me? i dunno -- I'll use this a while and then switch back and it will puzzle more people. The elaborate tree fort is all but done -- it's still missing a roof unfortunately, because I have no idea how to make one!

PTer: Tom, Is Trey Ocelot?

TM: yes, kinda, I think -- that one used words from long ago that I pulled out of a book of stuff I wrote down, but trey added the "won't you come out to play" and it did make me think of him

PTer: tom did you call trey and whisper in his ear yesterday? did he giggle like a little schoolgirl?

TM: hahaha! you know what -- i texted him "Happy Happy" and he said he was lying in bed wondering if I would

PTer: Working for a very cool video game company (is) every kid's fantasy. how'd you score that gig, and what do you do there?

TM: I was totally fucked by the economy, and my resume -- Phish had quit, I got laid off from corporate america -- i had a too-big house, two too-nice cars, lived in a too-rich area, etc...my wife was flipping out -- this is over a period of YEARS -- I finally decided what I needed to do to reinvent myself, and went after video games, but not in a traditional "can I work for you?" begging kind of way -- it's hard (and unwise) to explain this fully right now, but I did land my "dream situation" -- i can't/won't even call it a job because...well, it's not

PTer: Have you ever collected any of the posters sold at the shows? Any favorite ones that stand out whether possessed or not?

TM: i have all Pollocks up to first hiatus...yes ALL except -- I did get rid of that Astron one which I didn't like, and Kabuki -- and I don't have Rosemont Horizon -- but i do have them ALL except those 9even both Wents) then I got tired of collecting -- but I'll sell you my collection!

PTer: tom. ocelot. flub or no flub?

TM: ah...flub that "works" kind of? i don't know -- i would have fixed it, but the "live" thing sometimes is sacred I guess? not so much to me...

PTer: Someone else mentioned the idea of all but 8 (maybe more) albums being eliminated by the start of F8 and then having animations on the big screens throughout 10/30 & 10/31 eliminating more albums. Then the final elimination as the album set starts. I think this is a fantastic idea and now will be disappointed if the DON'T do this. Do you know if this is the plan? If not, can you suggest this to the band?"

TM: that is FANTASTIC but...I will not suggest it because it's so late in the game, and I've not been involved in ANY way in this, and it would be really silly for me to suggest something that they've already worked hard to figure out -- suffice it to say, I love that idea -- but will be fine with whatever they do -- even if it's to leave 5 albums "unkilled" and never kill off the rest

PTer: On paper lyrics can come across as rather flat but in the element of song life is breathed somehow into the lyrics and they take on a deeper fuller meaning. Do you have a theory on why this is? And which of your lyrics have taken on some sort of new meaning or shape due to being put to a melody?

TM: I've said this a few times to people asking about lyrics and songs: i feel that if properly "blessed" for want of another word at the moment, a poem i wrote can be reborn twice -- so when I write it that's the first birth, then if it becomes a song that's the second, then if it becomes a Phish song -- that is, if Trey and the band start playing it, it's reborn AGAIN into the public arena. it's amazing to watch that happen

PTer: My brother and I came up with a great idea for a video game. And since you are now in the business, I have to ask. What is the best way of getting it developed, and still being able to profit from it?

TM: I think the best thing you can do is get your iPhone developers license and make an iPhone app -- a full-blown video game now costs $100 million and takes 100 people 3 years to make

PTer: In the last thread you spoke about tension between band members in the past. Can you elaborate on what the tension was about. Furthermore is trey the only member you talk with on a regular basis or are you friends with the other three...If so who?"

TM: hey, so, well...I don't know what's widely known or not, but suffice it to say that unhealthy behavior manifests itself in so many ways: relationship problems, personal problems, depression, etc...there was just an unhealthy/unhappy thing going on and building up for a while with Phish in 2003 and before...I am very happy to say that the changes they've made in their lives have seemed to eliminate a whole lot of those problems, and the changes they've made as a band (new management, eliminating the back-stage scene, etc) have ensured that the old habits won't creep back into their lives...

PTer: red or white?

TM: you must live in Napa...I suck as a wine drinker -- actually, i should say, i suck at buying wine -- i love drinking bold wonderful reds, but I find myself purchasing $15 chardonnay and pinot grigio -- that's what "other" people around me seem to drink -- i don't care enough really -- I like beer mainly -- not much else -- my tequila obsession happily has diminished too -- I'm back to Harpoon and Anchor Steam

PTer: Tom, How sick was the Trey with the NY Philharmonic show? Must of been pretty cool to not only see Trey's compositions (Guyute, YEM, The Divided Sky) but also your songs being put into an orchestra. Let Me Lie, Pebbles and Marbles, Brian and Robert, and Water in the Sky were great

TM: dude...how/why was that SO FUCKING GOOD? i really was not expecting that -- no offense Trey!! I mean...well, i can't say I'm a huge classical fan...and i guess I thought this would be "dressing up" the music or something, or "dumbing it down" away from electric with drums...you know? so, I'm an idiot who went in there, and came out a changed man -- seriously. Also my daughter and best friend were with me, she asked "what's trey looking at up there?" and it was when he had focused on a spot on the ceiling it looked like for a long time...my friend without hesitation said "Kristy" -- so there was raw emotion mixed in with the beautiful music -- one of my top 10 shows. Yes -- having my stuff performed was a great honor: Carnegie Hall? new York Philharmonic? I mean...c'mon.

PTer: Tom, what input do you have on the final versions of Phish tunes that you have a hand in writing? For instance, with Lillywhite producing Joy, did you ever interact with him or with the final stages of the tunes?"

TM: you know -- usually none at all -- but i got lucky and caught a listening party when the songs were supposed to be done, but there still was some time to fix them, and I heard that they totally missed the point with the ending of Light -- they just wimped it out completely -- so I mentioned it and said Trey, this isn't how we wrote it, remember there were "overlapping lyrics" and he didn't remember, so I got my son to go on itunes, convert it to an mp3 and email it to lillywhite who played it once, then they re-recorded the vocals and fixed it -- i was so happy, because the end is the coolest part of that song :)

PTer: "Faulty Plan" seemed to be a metaphor for Trey's demons, but someone turned up evidence that it was written back in 2003. What's the story?"

TM: I like when things are interpreted to mean things that I either had no idea I was writing (but the interpretations turn out to be correct), or to mean something completely out of left field. This is more the former -- and yes, it was another old poem, desperately scavenged from the bottom of my bedside table drawer before a surprise songwriting session with trey. So really no story -- is it about trey? ok...maybe, I'll buy that. I'm going to leave the clif bar and tea line alone for now...that's a love/hate line if ever there was one

PTer: Tom, I'm trying to convince my husband that Fest 8 would be a great Halloween for our 3 and 4 year olds. Great music is much better than junky candy. Any tips for convincing him?"

TM: ok, what to say here -- you see I'm usually an opponent of young kids at fests, only because I think their spun parents aren't making good decisions, and I've seen some bad stuff happen -- from infant's exposure to WAY TOO LOUD music, to kids being dropped and otherwise mishandled or neglected. I'm certain you don't fall into this category. But really -- what do THEY want? my guess is they would love you to take them door to door with their friends...I'm just saying...but, now I'm going to contradict myself: FOR KIDS, NOTHING BEATS AN OUT OF THE ORDINARY, AWAY FROM HOME ADVENTURE WITH THEIR PARENTS. So you should go to 8 and tell your hub that just is how it is.