Jambands.ca

Environmentalism as Religion

ollie

Green Guilt

The same demographic group for whom religion has little or no hold (namely white liberals) turns out to be the most virulent champions of all things green. Is it possible that these folks must vent their moral spleen on environmentalism because they don't have all the theological campaigns (e.g., opposing gay marriage, opposing abortion, etc.) on which social conservatives exercise their indignation?

:P

Interesting piece, though as soon as it starts to go into those Freudian hydrolics, I have to confess I started to turn off. I do think there's something to be said about the affluent feeling the need to do something out of the positions that they find themselves in. To their credit, I suppose, at least they're finding themselves in some kind of position, instead of just glossing over it.

Fwiw, I'd like to wish that people that find themselves in the environmentalist camp could be accused of nothing worse than a heightened sensitivity to the way that things correlate, which is a nice alternative to the thickness of carrying on the way the mainstream would otherwise have us do.

But I do get the point about the ridiculous pride that accompanies that kind of conversion. Maybe that's where the correlation to religion comes in.

But I do get the point about the ridiculous pride that accompanies that kind of conversion. Maybe that's where the correlation to religion comes in.

That's where I see it. I agree that as a whole the article was a bit of a letdown after an interesting setup.