Jambands.ca

Downloadable Anti-Virus Software

Dr_Evil_Mouse

Avira can be a bit confusing at first in terms of scheduling, but once you have that figured out it's pretty straight forward. I like that you can't disable it unless you terminate the process or uninstall it, which is good since no virus or other program can disable it.

[edit to add]

One thing that I guess some folks could find annoying is a pop up advertisement for the pay version that occurs now & then, you can just click close and it goes away. The only time this seems to happen though is when the computer is idle so it never shows up suddenly when your working or browsing. But, that can be a deal breaker for some.

Edited by Guest

I have been using the free version of AVG Anti-virus for years with much success. No pop-ups either!

They have the same type of pop up ads. From reading the AVG forum I found out that it started with v.8.5. A quick google search of "AVG pop up ads" will show many people complaining about it, just like Avira. What ya want for free though, right? They are easy enough to disable though.

The only thing I didn't like about AVG (installed it on my ma's pc) was the amount of resources it uses compared to others and the slower scan speeds. Otherwise it's got a good rep.

To disable the Avira ads

Start > Run > gpedit.msc

Administrative Templates > System

"Don't run specified Windows applications".

Enable it and click show

Add "avnotify.exe > OK > restart

To disable the AVG ads:

Rename avgmwdef_us.mht to [color:red]avgmwdef_us.mht.bak and avgresf.dll to [color:red]avgresf.dll.bak.