Jambands.ca

Any advice on selling a used car...

YearsAlongTheSea

YATS, I have sold a few used cars here in the city.

Auto Trader every time. Totally worth the nominal fee.

Here's another tip, that I had great success with - advertise the price as the price you want to get - i.e. don't build "negotiation" room into it.

You will get lots of calls (leads) about the car (assuming your price is reasonable), because your price will be lower than all the people that are setting the price above what they actually want.

You will have to set up an afternoon or two for people to come and look at it. When someone offers you a price (assuming below the asking price) you can tell them that someone asked you to hold the car and they are willing to pay the full asking price.

Both times I did this I got MORE than the advertised price, not the other way around.

:)

If for whatever reason you choose to not take basher's awesome advice, people love to buy cheap cars on Kijiji.

Yep. I'm a buyer and I've been scouring Craigslist and Kijiji for the past month and there are definitely more listings on Kijiji... seems to be the goto place. Cars move fast so post an ad and see what happens.

How much mileage on your car, btw?

I'm in the process of finalizing a deal but the owner lives in Quebec. Anyone have any experience bringing a car over to Ontario? It seems to be a fairly straightforward process but any personal advice is appreciated.

Thanks for all the advice folks. I just put up a listing on AutoTrader.ca (no fee!) and am about to look into Kijiji...

Ollie, the car is very high milage (circa 300,000 km). It's a '99 Golf and will probably need work in the not too distant future. In all honesty, it's probably not what you're looking for.

In regards to your other question, I brought the car over from the States when I moved here and that process was timely and costly. I'm sure bringing it in from QC is a different ballpark though...

I'm going to be selling mine in a week or so ... Honda Civic 2005, 150km on it. Will probably go the kijiji route cause it's free (and ridiculously popular in Kingston) ...

The answer to this question might also be helpful to YATS, but what is the process for transferring ownership?

Things I learned:

Basher was right. Ask for what you're expecting and you'll get more or start a bidding war.

Yours Truly was right. Kijiji yielded the most hits.

Craigslist is great. I got a cup of coffee, a hand job and a used fruit juicer from the buyer.

No matter how much pig shit I smoke, my bike still won't make it to the moon and now I have no car to get to the hospital.

Also, if your car isn't worth a whole lot and you're selling it for cash, the above Used Vehicle Information Package is unnecessary...

Good luck Skelter and thanks ya'll...