Jambands.ca

Titus Andronicus- The Monitor

Guest Low Roller

I was just listening to these guys this morning. They sound like the Replacements trying to make an epic Springsteen album (think Boys and Girls in America). It's very punk.

The opening paragraph of the Pitchfork review is what intrigued me to check them out:

Modern indie rock generally treats emotion as something that should be guarded or disguised. The Monitor does not subscribe to this viewpoint.

On their second album, New Jersey's Titus Andronicus split the emotional atom with anthemic chants, rousing sing-alongs, celebrations of binge drinking, marathon song titles, broken-hearted duets, punked-up Irish jigs, and classic rock lyric-stealing. And through it all, they take subtlety out on the town, pour a fifth of whiskey down its throat, write insults on its face in permanent marker, and abandon it in the woods.

They're totally authentic, pissant douchebags if you ask me. I've spent alot of time with this album, read a ridiculous amount about what they've said about what people have said about what Pitchfork has said about them. They strike me as likely really good guys with a pretty good but not unbelievable album that fits into Pitchfork's mold (or only Pitchfork and American History majors get it).

Basically I'd agree about Theme from Cheers (just added to a playlist for the bartender at my restaurant today for instance) and Richard II but - for me at least- the album as a whole doesn't bare further listening.

I'll have to look for it but there's this whole back and forth satirical blog thing that happened where someone wrote something as if it was a member of Titus and the guy responds and also there's this other FUCKING HILARIOUS story about buddy from the band getting paid obscenely to play at a Vice mag party and then complaining about how much he was paid to play (and getting kicked out of the venue, snuck back in and ensuing hijinx).