Jambands.ca

Roger Waters - We Shall Overcome

Kanada Kev

Roger Waters: "I did this to protest the current blockade of Gaza. To protest the fact that the people of Gaza live in a virtual prison. To protest the fact that a year after the terror attack by Israeli armed forces destroyed most of their homes, hospitals, schools, and other public buildings, they have no possibility to rebuild because their borders are closed. The would be Freedom Marchers wanted to peacefully draw attention to the predicament of the Palestinian population of Gaza. The Egyptian government, (funded to the tune of $2.1 billion a year, by us, the US tax payers), would not allow the marchers to approach Gaza. How lame is that? And how predictable! I live in the USA and during this time Dec 25th 2009-Jan3rd 2010 I saw no reference to Gaza or the Freedom March or the multi national protesters gathered there. Anyway I was moved, in the circumstances, to record a new version of " We shall overcome". It seems appropriate. Roger Waters Many thanks to G.E Smith: lead guitar and Thor Jonsson, drum programming and whatever. Thanks guys!!!"

I hear ya Al. This is the problem in that it seems that for the most part the Israelis and Palestinians want peace for all. It's the bloody gov'ts and outside instigators that get in the way.

Commissars and pin-stripe bosses

Roll the dice.

Any way they fall,

Guess who gets to pay the price.

Money green or proletarian gray,

Selling guns 'stead of food today.

So the kids they dance

And shake their bones,

And the politicians throwin' stones,

In a whole world full of petty wars

Singing I got mine and you got yours.

And the current fashion sets the pace,

Lose your step, fall out of grace.

And the radical, he rant and rage,

Singing someone's got to turn the page.

And the rich man in his summer home,

Singing just leave well enough alone.

But his pants are down, his cover's blown...

Dude - we all want peace. but a ridiculous comment like "the terror attack by Israeli armed forces..." is well, just plain ridiculous.

Terrorism def: •the calculated use of violence (or the threat of violence) against civilians in order to attain goals that are political or religious or ideological in nature; this is done through intimidation or coercion or instilling fear

or...

•Terrorism is the systematic use of terror especially as a means of coercion. At present, the International community has been unable to formulate a universally agreed, legally binding, criminal law definition of terrorism. ...

Edited by Guest

Innocents have been killed on both sides by people trying to each make a point. Nobody is more innocent than anyone else, except the great many people on both sides who want none of the fuckery - which means there is a relatively small number of people on each side who are committed to terrorism-in-the-eyes-of-the-other.

Oh, and those people that vote for the mean guys because they think that it'll get something done.

That said, those Waters tix were just way too expensive for my tastes. Plus, I hear he's lip-syncing these days.

you've just proven my point. why don't you re-read those definitions?

Isreal (and all dominating societies - Canada and US included)use the word terror to justify its actions all the time. If you don't support what they do, you support the terrorists, yadda yadda yadda, we've heard it all before. It's a terribly convenient way of making sure nobody asks any questions or criticizes any actions. Do you not see the irony in the fact that although the definition is up for debate, it is used rather liberally to describe those in dominated states, but NEVER for those in the dominating states?

People talk as if the people of Gaza or Lebanon are of equal might to Isreal. THEY ARE NOT. They are smaller and use crappy missiles and throw stones for chrissakes. There is struggle going on, and it is a struggle for equality. Isreal holds the power, thus the solution. If, for a second, I thought the playing field were equal, I might have a different view on all of this. But its not. The school bully is being allowed to beat the same kid up over and over again and when that kid tries to fight back, the bully is allowed by the teachers of the school and surrounding community to use whatever force necessary to keep the little kid down - all in the name of self defense!

Edited by Guest