Jambands.ca

2011 Juno Award Neil Young better show up this time

TimmyB

I just picked up tickets for the 2011 Juno Awards in the hopes that Neil Young shows up to accept 2011 Allan Waters Humanitarian Award. The Toronto Star is reporting that Neil has pledged to come and accept the award so I had to get tickets on the on sale date.

Even if Neil does not show up at least I will be able to see Arcade Fire perform for the first time as well as Broken Social Scene who I have enjoyed for years.

The last time I went to the Juno Awards was a decade earlier in Hamilton in 2001. I went then to see Bruce Cockburn inducted into the Canadian Music Hall of Fame. David Suzuki and Gordon Lightfoot did presented the award and Cockburn's acceptance speech was profound as is the artist. Terri Clark & Jann Arden performed "Wondering Where the Lions Are," Sarah Harmer "Waiting for a Miracle" and live via satellite the Barenaked Ladies did their version of "Lovers in a Dangerous Time." Other than the Guess Who the rest of the performances were not my cup of tea and Nelly Furtado was annoying in her four wins where she did the same speech four times. Rick Mercer was the host and I enjoyed that.

Neil is also up for Artist of the Year and his album 'Le Noise' is up for Adult Alternative Album of the Year, so I'm also hoping he peforms, if he shows up.

Peace,

Tim