Jambands.ca

Files from old laptop > new laptop: Help?

Northern Wish

The screen on an old laptop around here finally kicked it and I have alot of files on there I'd love to grab.

What is the easiest solution for transferring these files?

I was going to just hook it up to my TV, but without the computer monitor I can't set the dual screen up.

Any methods that I could do myself at home today?

Edited by Guest

The screen on an old laptop around here finally kicked it and I have alot of files on there I'd love to grab.

What is the easiest solution for transferring these files?

I was going to just hook it up to my TV, but without the computer monitor I can't set the dual screen up.

Any methods that I could do myself at home today?

I found the easiest way to salvage data off a laptop HDD was buying the kit that makes the laptop's HDD an external HDD. Hooks & powers up via USB. Not much bigger then a large pack of smokes. Bought mine at factory direct or tiger direct (I forget) for less then $20 (case,cable and (faux)leather case cover) - still works great, doesn't get hot either and you'll have a nice external/travel HDD for future use for a couple bucks.

Mine is similar to this.

sounds like you have two problems, NW? a) the fact that you cannot see to transfer and B) actually transferring. a) you will have to send the video signal to another screen. connect your laptop to another computer monitor using a VGA cable. it will connect the blue plug at the back/side of your laptop to another monitor and you will see your laptop on the other screen. or you can use that same plug on the laptop to send the video signal to a TV using an s-video cable. bottom line, you will need to right cables to be able to see. then you will have to tell your comp to actually send the signal using one of your F-keys (F5 maybe ... it will have a small icon of two screens). then B) transfer the files as normal on to an external HD or flash key or whatever. most places have these cables, quite common. even zellers.