Jambands.ca

Any experience with Wind Mobile, Mobilicity, or similar mobile carriers?

Blane

Hey all,

Weighing up options for a phone here and wondering what people's experiences of these new low-cost carriers has been.

From my reading they're fine in urban centres but a bit crap outside of them, which is probably ok for me, but I'm not super worried about spending more if the added value is obvious, so wondering if I'd be missing out on something by skipping Fido or other more mainstream carriers.

Thanks for your thoughts!

I've known people who've had some problems with Wind and Mobilicity as their networks suffer growing pains. I was very close to switching to WIND with their simple pricing and low prices. That week I had some friends over to my house and neither of their WIND phones could get reception on the network. They said it happens frequently. As soon as you're off their network you are roaming on Bell or Rogers (+$)

The big carriers have started to drop their prices and you just have to shop smart for your plan. I suggest doing some research on the threads on this site;

http://www.howardforums.com/forumdisplay.php/317-Canadian-Carrier-Discussion

I was able to stick with Bell and my SIII is loaded to the tits with all the bells and whistles for a flat $60. I'm not getting overage charges on anything.

Fab 10 Promo 60 6GB 36M

200 minutes

Unlimited incoming

Unlimited nights (6 p.m. - 7 a.m.) and weekends (6 p.m. Friday - 7 a.m. Monday)

Unl. nationwide member talking

National Fab 10 - Text & Talk

Text Messaging - Unlimited Package

Unlimited Picture and Video Messaging

Email & Internet 6GB Share

Mobile TV

Conference Calling & Call Waiting

VM/CD

Good luck.

I'd also like some general advice on getting a good plan for a smartphone. I've never had a cell phone of any kind so I'm brand new to the market.

In terms of negotiating, am I better off to do it in person, over the phone or online? Any other tips that would help me leverage whatever advantage I have (if any) as a brand new customer?

Mobilicity has this 50% off deal right now which basically gives you loads of stuff unlimited including Data for $22.50/month for the first year. Includes 30 mins of free roaming as well (which is key given how small their network coverage is).

That said I've looked and their network doeesn't include montreal, which might be a deal-breaker for me.

I've had great luck with Wind Mobile. I signed up last year around Christmas time for one of their holiday miracle plans for $40 per month which pretty much covers everything. My 15 year old son is on the same plan with no problems. And he texts a lot! At the time a similar plan with Telus was about $20 more per month. The key is that I am in a Wind zone most of the time (Kitchener and the other cities I visit) so I rarely pay extras. If I ever am outside of a Wind zone I turn off my data and only rely on my phone and text, which is still fairly cheap per text or per minute. It also works well in the USA and I find my calling or text rates in the USA are much cheaper than if I was with Telus.

The Wind network does go down more often than with Telus but then I am automatically switched to another carrier, and I haven't noticed that I've been dinged for extra charges because of this.

I'm a big fan of Wind Mobile but again, only if in a Wind zone most of the time. And I primarily use my phone for texting and talking rather than for accessing the Internet. But it seems to work fine when I do access the net.

Peace, Mark

Hi Ollie,

I got my deal through customer retention/loyalty dept. Some deals are offered to new customers, others to ones who've been around a while.

What I found from reading through that forum is that all the providers have deals to match against one another. Don't go for the first offer. Always be courteous and ask if they can't help you out a bit more since you've already researched what other companies are offering and what your colleagues are getting. You don't always get it the first try.

If you see a promo plan written about, ask for it when you call up. I think mine was called FAB10 60. The rep then added more "bonuses" to the plan (when talking to others they wouldn't).

There should be plenty of good promotions with the Xmas season here. Work 'em all and see what you can get for yourself, but know what you WANT and NEED before going in.

As always, if you lock in for a 3-year deal you save money on the hardware, but then have a tough time leaving or cutting out early.

It's a maddening f'in industry for the customers to have to deal with, but the more you know, the better you'll do.

It's a maddening f'in industry for the customers to have to deal with, but the more you know, the better you'll do.

Yeah, I haven't been this confused since I shopped for a mattress!

I'm looking to go no-contract as I'll likely be getting the new Nexus 4. Waiting for actual user reviews though first, plus the fact that it's sold out everywhere!

interesting thing, got an email from mobilicity today offering me a $100 credit (paid in $10 installments over 10 months) if I switch to automated monthly payments between now adn the end of the month. Given that I've already got a 22.50 bill, this woulld mean 12.50 per month for the next 10 months if I'm reading it correctly, which is a damn sweet deal.

Anyhow, not shilling for these guys in teh least. Been a customer for about 10 days and have been satisfied with the service, but who knows how I'll feel in 3 months. That said, rates are very cheap at the moment!

Edit to add that I'm not sure if the two offers will work concurrently or not, so you may have to take one or the other (e.g. 50% off or 10$ off).

Edited by Guest

no, no contracts. Just bought a phone outright from them (HTC One S for 399)and paid for the first month of service.

I'm sure the reception in Montreal will be fine, just that I'll be roaming on someone else's netowork and paying .20c per minute to make calls.

Edited by Guest