Jambands.ca

One Of The Greatest Bands On Earth

kung

I can't really begin to describe just how fucking good the Metric/ Broken Social Scene show was last night. I hope this doesn't fall on deaf ears but here's a tidbit of what went down. Metric, a four piece band, just slayed with slashing angular jagged new wave and the finest lead singer in the mini skirt to die for. Couldn't say enough about them and hence won't for now. They set the bar really high for BSS which has another 10 members to compete.

Here's my take on the BSS portion of the show that I wrote for the indy kids that actually care about brilliant music:

Metric really couldn't have set the bar any higher- taking for granted the fact that the easy living crowd was so flat, the disco was dead and no one there wanted to fight them. The irony lost on all. Anyways it really was one of their better if not the best show they have played in these parts. The BSS just went up up up from there.

I think they piped in Feist's voice before they opened the curtain doing Lovers Spit (may be wrong- she certainly wasn't in attendance and it didn't sound quite like Amy)- very theatrical in the least and the curtains open to everyone dancing on the stage like an old opry. A huge Almost Crimes followed then a Stars and Sons I believe. Then I lose track....

There was a long swath of new material with Amy (Stars) fronting alot. The lineup was HUGE by the way, biggest I've seen with upwards of 13 alot of the time including Whiteman, Spearin, Cranley, Canning, Drew, Collette, Josh/James/Emily (Metric), Amy, whatshername from the Damn Ugly Children on violin for long stretches, 2 or 3 horns I didn't know supplemented by the likes of Cranley, Spearin, Josh and James periodically, Jay Ferguson and Gentleman Reg joined for some of the encores. You get the gist.

.... Next thing I recall is a Cause=Time, maybe another one or two then an Anthems which could have closed a lesser show. They did say around then this would be their last whilst proceeding to play AT LEAST seven more including Looks Just Like The Sun, an apropos mellow I'm Still Your Fag, KC Accidental, two with Reg fronting, one with Ferguson fronting, maybe two others. As you can see I'm desperate to piece together the short strokes for scholasticism sake if anyone's got insight.

Really a sublime experience all around.

He was fairly annoying as Gay Albinos can be. You would have died but it was just a couple of songs in the encore. I forgot to mention that Hayden played on the encores as well. It really was an insane lineup for the sheer size of the ensemble and the constant rotation. They were going from the core six swelling up to 13 even 15 at times. It really was something even just to see which I imagine we will as they were filming the hell out of it for this documentary they've been working on for ages.

I gotta tell you, and I think I mentioned this before, I hate gentlemen Reg and if he shows up at the Ottawa show tomorrow I may have to dip in bleach and make him disappear completely.

Annoying gays aside, I haven't been this excited for a show in a long time.

Archived