Jambands.ca

Bob Dylan obliges annoying fan in Berkeley by actually playing 'Free Bird'

Esau.

http://m.sfgate.com/music/article/Bob-Dylan-obliges-annoying-fan-in-Berkeley-by-8132776.php

You've seen that guy.

He emerges from some dark corner of the audience, maybe drunk, gawkily shoving his way through the crowd as the audience stands contented, mesmerized by the rock god onstage. He leans forward next to your ear, brutishly disturbing your daydream with a shrill, piercing shout:

"FREE BIRD!"

Eyes roll in the audience. The man's face snarls with wretched delight. He is the only one laughing.

But just before your disgust impels you to jam your elbow into this troll's ribcage, a guitar rings out. Everyone turns to the stage.

Holy hell, Bob Dylan is actually playing "Free Bird."

To the shock of a Berkeley audience, Dylan closed out his set at the Greek Theater last week — which featured covers of some of Frank Sinatra's most famous songs from his newest album "Fallen Angels" —  with a take on Lynyrd Skynyrd's 1973 hit "Free Bird."

See a couple clips from the performance below.

On 6/16/2016 at 10:36 AM, Velvet said:

Awesome!  From the clip above it kinda looked like Dylan was standing around while his band played Free Bird but that's good enough for me.  Cool stuff.

I thought the same. I guess the media figured it would draw more clicks if they said Dylan covers freebird. Still cool. Though Bob singing a verse or two would've been even cooler.

I'm going to see Dylan in a couple of weeks at ArtPark in Lewiston.

I'm curious to hear his new material off of "Fallen Angels"

Fallen Angels is the thirty-seventh studio album by Bob Dylan, released by Columbia Records on May 20, 2016.[1]

The album features covers of twelve classic American songs chosen by Dylan from a diverse array of writers such as Johnny MercerHarold ArlenSammy Cahn and Carolyn Leigh.[1] Much like the album's predecessor, Shadows in the Night, every song on the album, except for "Skylark", was once recorded by Frank Sinatra.[2]

The album has received generally favorable reviews from critics, with particular praise for Dylan's vocal performance, production quality, and the arrangements of his band.[3]

My tickets came with 2 redemption codes for free copies of the new album.

The cd should have arrived by the time I get back from Abu Dhabi.

I've streamed snippets, and it sounds quite good.  Bob sounds clear and you can hear/understand the lyrics.

Hoping the live show this time around proves the same.

On June 16, 2016 at 10:36 AM, Velvet said:

Awesome!  From the clip above it kinda looked like Dylan was standing around while his band played Free Bird but that's good enough for me.  Cool stuff.

Improved headline - "Bob Dylan's band obliges annoying fan in Berkeley by playing freebird breakdown"