Jambands.ca

Best of post-hiatus Phish?

Rob Not Bob

I am getting back into Phish after a long, long break (didn't really turn on the band, was just listening to other things). I realized that I know their original run fairly well, but have very few of their shows after the first hiatus, and practically nothing from their reunion onward. What would folks consider the best point of entry for their later shows? And why would you consider that show/run so great?

Isnt there already a Baker's Dozen thread on this board you can check out? ;)

Personally, I think that is another high-water mark for the band.

I was off and on with them since they came back in 2009. I saw the last show of their summer tour in 2009, saw Finger Lakes in 2010, listened to a pile because I was still a Phish junkie but I was getting close to cutting that chord - so to speak. I figured if I saw one more show that was not doing it for me then I was done but the rescheduled Toronto show brought me back in a little bit and then that fall I saw them in Glens Falls. I was still in. Things were still inconsistent but for my ears, summer 2015 turned the tide and they have been on a slow ascending upswing since then.

My personal belief is because they toured extensively during their first era, making the music a priority while they were young, they fell into a groove they will never find again thanks to age and responsibilities outside of the band. That first shit was nuts. The second wave came about and it's obvious personal demons were affecting them as a unit but they could still pull off some crazy-assed jams at the detriment of the tightness they once had but age was starting to become a factor. The best analogy I can make is the mid 30 year old athlete who once excelled on a nightly basis but you only see that magic from time to time.

Then it was gone.

They came back and we all went crazy but something was not up to par. It took them a long time to get that dinosaur roaring again because they had to figure it out but I believe they are back in business. Obviously things are a little slower now and composed sections will be messed up from time to time thanks to the sheer number of songs they love to throw out at us but a pattern is starting to develop that I am completely on board with. "Give them a big jam" seems to be something they are delivering on an almost nightly basis now since.............I dont know when because I stopped listening to every show but from last fall at Dick's on I have really enjoyed most of what I have heard.

Go into the Baker's Dozen thread, to kind of answer your question, after you watch this amazing madness. I wasnt at this show. I had just gotten home from PEI, crushed three beers and abowl and then this happened........great shit right here RobNotBob - Dick's is coming up again at the end of the month. I strongly recommend you check it out from your couch. They will be offering streams.

14 hours ago, Booche said:

Isnt there already a Baker's Dozen thread on this board you can check out? ;)

Personally, I think that is another high-water mark for the band.

I was off and on with them since they came back in 2009. I saw the last show of their summer tour in 2009, saw Finger Lakes in 2010, listened to a pile because I was still a Phish junkie but I was getting close to cutting that chord - so to speak. I figured if I saw one more show that was not doing it for me then I was done but the rescheduled Toronto show brought me back in a little bit and then that fall I saw them in Glens Falls. I was still in. Things were still inconsistent but for my ears, summer 2015 turned the tide and they have been on a slow ascending upswing since then.

My personal belief is because they toured extensively during their first era, making the music a priority while they were young, they fell into a groove they will never find again thanks to age and responsibilities outside of the band. That first shit was nuts. The second wave came about and it's obvious personal demons were affecting them as a unit but they could still pull off some crazy-assed jams at the detriment of the tightness they once had but age was starting to become a factor. The best analogy I can make is the mid 30 year old athlete who once excelled on a nightly basis but you only see that magic from time to time.

Then it was gone.

They came back and we all went crazy but something was not up to par. It took them a long time to get that dinosaur roaring again because they had to figure it out but I believe they are back in business. Obviously things are a little slower now and composed sections will be messed up from time to time thanks to the sheer number of songs they love to throw out at us but a pattern is starting to develop that I am completely on board with. "Give them a big jam" seems to be something they are delivering on an almost nightly basis now since.............I dont know when because I stopped listening to every show but from last fall at Dick's on I have really enjoyed most of what I have heard.

Go into the Baker's Dozen thread, to kind of answer your question, after you watch this amazing madness. I wasnt at this show. I had just gotten home from PEI, crushed three beers and abowl and then this happened........great shit right here RobNotBob - Dick's is coming up again at the end of the month. I strongly recommend you check it out from your couch. They will be offering streams.

Well said Booche! And if you squint just right, you can spot me in that Magnaball Caspian video!

Truly one of their phinest moments post-hiatus.

I have been following the Baker's Dozen thread with interest, just wasn't sure that a 13 show run would be quite the ideal point of entry for getting back up to speed, as it could get a bit overwhelming (says the guy whose Go To show is Big Cypress.) Thanks very much for all of the help, it is truly appreciated.