Jambands.ca

Bidini: On A Cold Road

DevO

I'm currently reading Dave Bidini's (Rheostatics) book On A Cold Road.. Its about life on the road for Canadian rock bands, spanning from the late 1960's til present. It has all sorts of hilarious road stories and observations and Canadian obscurities coming from Bidini's experiences on tour with the Rheos as well as excerpts from interviews with members of BTO, Max Webster, Goddo, Triumph, Trooper, Bruce Cockburn, tons of others. This book is a must read for everyone here, especially any of you bands heading across the country! The only big criticism I have of the book so far is a lack of mention of Helix - seasoned Canadian rockers who have seen it all on the road. Has anyone else read this book?

Actually I need one Sociology half-credit to graduate after April and I'm thinking about trying to put together a reading course that somehow incorporates this book, and the lifestyles of Canadian musicians on the road, maybe the relationship between space (geog) and music. Space, music, travel, identity, that kinda thing. If I do, I might like to ask a few questions to some of the touring musicians on message board, to use in an essay. Anyone want to help me out?

Kevin...

I've read that book and loved it. I passed it on to the other guys in the band as well. I actually read it on the road and managed to be in a couple of the places in book at the same time! A couple of those places... the Royal Albert in Winnepeg is every bit as nasty as he says... and Brett the deadhead they booted with the picture behind Crocks n Rolls in Thunder Bay... that's the club where I started playing....

Coming out on Friday? Drop me an email if you can help with some postering again... we really appreciated it last time. info@burtneilson.com

jeff

Archived