Jambands.ca

movies about Spain/ Latin America

meggo

quote:

Originally posted by number 2:

there is a phenomenal documentary floating around-- on the attempted Coup in Venenzuela back in 2002-- Chavez was almost tossed out... CBC aired it-- The Passionate Eye-"Chavez- Inside the Coup"

if you can't find that, one that should be easy to find, and a classic-- "For Whom the Bell Tolls"

Ahh you mean Venezuela: Anatomy of a Coup. In case you're wondering, I work at the desk of Trent's Audio Visual department part time, so I'm ON this shit!

A great Spanish-speaking horror movie is Guillermo del Toro's The Devil's Backbone ( 2001 ). It's actually a ghost story with a twist. It's set during the Spanish Civil War at a boy's school/orphanage. I can't reveal the ending, but let me just say that it's a ghost story with a soul. Note: del Toro is a great director on the rise. He directed the ultra creepy Spanish vampire movie Cronos, along with American movies Mimic, Blade II and the upcoming Hellboy.

Another great historical film is the classic Viva Zapata ( 1952 ) starring Marlon Brando as the legendary Mexican revolutionary and Anthony Quinn as his brother Eufemio ( and directed by Elia Kazan ). Alan " Fred Flintstone " Reed plays Pancho Villa. This is a terrific movie.

Archived