Jambands.ca

Higher Ground might be closing.

Stapes

Rumor has it april 5th.

"The threat of possible eviction does exist and the staff at Higher Ground have been looking around for a new space but have not offered any specifics on a possible new location. They are disappointed at the prospect of having to move when the lease for their current space extends for another six years. "We are happy in Winooski and we want to stay. We have a good relationship with the city, the police, and we like the space," said Crothers. "

Click here

higher ground

Crap, they still haven't been able to find a new location...you'd think there would be something in downtown Burlington that would work for them, damn...it would be a real shame to lose Higher Ground, fantastic bar, lotsa history....First Tobacco Road in NYC closes its doors, now this!?!?!? [Eek!][Frown][Mad]

I bet it won't be in Burlington. Appairently you have to be 21 to go to bars there where as in Winooski you can have all ages shows. I've heard that they may move it away from the area compleatly since most of the people at the shows were from out of town. They have bands booked till the end of April. Wonder where they will play?

VermontDave used to have all of the inside info on this.

That's probably one of the nicest venues I've ever been to. I sure hope they figure it out. It's great where it is.

Isn't the multi-million dollar guitar player of Phish involved in this music venue somehow? Come on Trey, save Higher Ground!

It's true, it's closing down. The city of Winooski is planning a huge redevelopment project which will remove that entire parkinglot/stripmall where HG is now. It's good for the city, but as of the present doesn't include HG.

The leasers of HG, which include, I believe, Treys brother-in-law or cousin or something, do own property in Burlington. The building had until recently, a shitty dirtbag bar called Sh-Na-Nas, which at one point was called Hunt's. As the story goes, the original intention was for HG to take over for Sh-Na-Nas when the latters lease expired down the road.

Unfortunately, a recent fire did some big damage to the structure which will take time to fix. Coincidentally, this building housed the booking agent in the states for nero. Go figure.

I think, in the end HG will be in downtown Burlington.

ps Stapes, I think Burlington allows 18+ shows, but I'm not 100%. I haven't been 18 for years.

peace

Archived