Jambands.ca

Lao help please....

TonyRage

If anyone out there has taken the boat from Chaing Khong in Thailand to Luang Prabang, I am having some trouble deciding whether to take the fast or slow boat.

apparently the Fast boat is faster, and therefore noisier and has a tendency to crash. The slow boat no the other hand is very slow.

Some help oh ye seasoned travellers.

I would take a look at the weather, and decide based on that. When I crossed Lake Tonle Sap in Cambodia, it was a five hour trip but the weather was beautiful, and I spent most of the time on the deck being waved at by children on the banks.

However, I took a ferry from Ko Samui to Surratthanni (three hours, IIRC), and it was in a very bad storm, which rocked the boat all over the place and sent many (myself not included, thankfully) scurrying to the bathroom - or the rails.

I understand the trip from Chaing Khong to Prabang Luang is quite beautiful, so if the weather is nice, why not take the slow boat?

I couldn't stand Bangkok. Way too much for a wannabe country boy like myself. chaing Mai is more up my alley. Jammed at the Irish Pub ehre last night and am headed to Pai to jam at teh vlues bar there with a British Cat I met last night. Khao San was jsut seedy shit.

Ha-ha, I agree - Bangkok was a fucking zoo. I didn't hate it, but I prefered much of the rest of the country to the capital. Didn't go to Chaing Mai, though - spent most of my time in Thailand down south, around Ko Samui, Ko Pangan, Phuket (which isn't all it's cracked up to be, actually) and such.

Be sure to go to Cambodia. For the most exciting van ride of your life, cross the border from Thailand at Poipet and get a lift to Siemreap. Spend a few days there touring the ruins of Angkor, the most magnificent stuff you'll see anywhere over there. Then, take the boat across Tonle Sap down to Phnom Penh. Visit Happy Herbs Pizza and order your pizza "extra happy" for a dollar more. Get chased by monkeys around Wat Phnom. Very nice. And everything is very cheap.

Ha-ha - I read through your little link there Brad, and that's pretty much exactly what it's like. I'm not sure that they still sell jars of weed over the counter, though. Marijuana was everywhere in Phnom Penh - seriously, I was in the city for less than ten minutes before someone was offering me a bag - and then it happened about every ten minutes after that for the entire week that I was in the city.

Archived