Jambands.ca

country/punk/rockabilly fans

h

Hey, it's a broad genre - but i know there are a few of you out there that like some music that might be considered country... i take it on a case by case basis...

anyway, my friend ( http://www.bigjohnbates.com ) recommended Tiger Army ( http://www.tigerarmy.com ) to me not too long ago, and i swear everytime they come up on my rotation, i just love them....

i think they actually call themselves punk/psychobilly, but i dunno, you tell me - actually there is big a range in their songs for sure.

Check out Outlaw Heart, it's my favourite...

Heres a direct link to download that song -->

http://www.tigerarmy.com/mp3s/outlaw_heart.mp3

Not bad. If i'm in the mood for country,which happens from time to time i'll look into these cats. Can you recommend any other good folk country albums i should listen to. I've been digging lots of John Prine, Johnny Cash, Woody Guthrie and Nancy Griffith just to give you an idea of the style i'm looking for. thanx

ps. Nancy Griffith's album Other Voices/Other Rooms has been a staple in my rotation for a few years now...If you haven't checked it out i'ld have to recommend it.

Anything by Iris Dement is bound to tug at your heart strings (you have probably heard her sing with John Prine.) Actually the Album "Inspite of Ourselves" is a great John Prine Duet album featuring her and other great country/folk singers. They cover a bunch of old country songs, and one original that will make you weep and laugh at the same time.

Flying Burrito Brothers- make sure it is one of the older albums when Graham Parsons was still in the band(the album with Sin City is the best). Speaking of Graham Parsons the Byrds album "Sweet Hearts of the Rodeo" is great.

Any 70' early 80's Merle Haggard is great, I bought this live cd for 5.99 at the cheack out counter at a Zellers years ago and it is my most treaured Merle.

and OF COURSE in order to appreciate any of the above material you must include a Hank Williams Album in your collection. "Alone with his Guitar" is my favorite right now because you can hear the crackely record sound.

WOW...alll this country music talk is making this cowgirl want a beer and a good ole'country cry.

Hey H I will listen to some of the music from the link when I get home from work, thanks.

OK, I'll pipe in for some of my favorites!

1. Lyle Lovett. Anything by the man (Lyle: "That girl was so ugly" Dude:"Well, you ugly too!")

2. Tim O'Brien (Played with Phish Red Rocks 08-07-96). Red on Blonde is a great bluegrassy Dylan tribute album.

I like a little Merle Haggard from time to time.. Anyone out there like Southern Culture On The Skids?? I love that band, they're a riot.

Also, I see that theres a band coming to Peterborough called White Cowbell Oklahoma ...... I haven't heard of 'em but their site looks kinda crazy.