Jambands.ca

the Pope

gentlemonkey

So the pope has been in Canada for a bit.. he seems to have been on the cover of every paper while he's been here.. (that makes sense, cause he is god's embassador to earth, he deserves media attention [smile] ) .. but, I find it completeley strange, that a lot of the papers describe him (in their headlines) as beaming, or glowing.. because it doesn't seem to me that he'd be capable of emotion.... being 200 years old and all!

have you seen him!?! [Eek!] jeez!!

I don't want to seem blasphemous. (too late i suppose). i'm a baptized (not by choice) catholic, and i love my god.. but i just dont get why people pretend that he's looking good. i wouldn't be surprised if he's been dead for two years and there is robotix puppeteer at work here..

thoughts? hate mail?

shit man...i thought the dead and phish have a following...they got nothing on this guy...

lol

man that summer 2002 italy>canada>guatemala>mexico tour was a bitch!!!

i just wish he can go back to playing red rocks!

the crowds now are just too out of control!

lol

i kill me

i saw a thing on 60 minutes years back about the wicked corrupt backstabbing terribleness that is going on behind the scenes at the vatican. It's a full political battle to be the next pope. Apparently the forerunner was this Italian that the news show made out to be a total louse....

sooo, with that knowledge, i dont know if popes are suppose to stay on until they die, or if they are keeping him up as long as possible to avoid the craziness that will surround chosing a new pope...

i say let the poor man rest - he's worked very hard.

but then i am probably able to have compassion for him because i'm not catholic [Wink]

Guest Low Roller

The papal electoral process is based on all the cardinals (guys in funny RED hats) voting for who they believe is the worthiest to wear the funny WHITE hat and lead the R.C. Church.

Popes are chosen for life at which point they change their name to the appointed church name.

As far as corruption in the Vatican, it would not surprise me at all. They have A LOT of money and I've grown to believe that organized religion is the source of a lot evil in this world.

Useless fact: The current shell of a pope that used to be John Paul II, is the only non-Italian pope ever. He is Polish.

Another useless fact: Nostradamus predicted that once the first non-Italian pope dies, there will be a Great War, eliminating something like 10% of the world's population. Sounds about right given the current tensions in the Middle East and the weapons they posess.

quote:

Originally posted by Low Roller:

Popes are chosen for life at which point they change their name to the appointed church name.

Doesn't the designated Pope-to-be get to choose his own name? ISTR Pope John dying, then the next Pope choosing John Paul (the names of the previous two Popes), then that Pope dying*, then the next one choosing John Paul II.

Aloha,

Brad

* I think there was a SNL Weekend Update bit soon after the appointment of JP II: "This just in: the Pope is not dead."

quote:

Originally posted by Low Roller:

As far as corruption in the Vatican, it would not surprise me at all. They have A LOT of money and I've grown to believe that organized religion is the source of a lot evil in this world.

It's been my observation that, as organizations get older and larger, their efforts get directed more and more towards maintaining their existence (as they are) and less and less towards their original purpose. (Go and read Parkinson's Law for examples of this: after WW II, the British Admiralty grew and grew at a steady rate, while the number of ships in the British Navy dropped and dropped at a steady rate.)

The RCC, being (one of if not) the largest bureaucracy in history, is, I think, a shining example of this.

Aloha,

Brad

...the pope needs to 'kick the holy water receptacle' before a replacement steps in....

they blow some white smoke outta the vatican chimney to signal that the new choice has been made...

did you also know, that the papacy was split at one point with a pope in France and one in Italy? Jerry Lewis was the last official French pope

i saw a comedian once -might have been carlin, but i really only remember the gist of the joke...

he said that priests dont wear a hat - cardinals wear little beanies, bishops wear bigger hats and the pope wears that huge hat, gee, Gods hat must be absolutely huge!

(or something like that, i thought it was cute)

i got so caught up in useless trivia that i forgot to make a point (not that i will succeed in doing that here)

i do think that at this point, JPII is really just a focal point for the public and all papal decisions are made by the vatican cardinals & apporproate arch-bishops. if God's little kid hadda made it to old age, they would have been dragging him round the Middle East, nothing more than a shell, just to re-energize the faith of the masses

quote:

It's been my observation that, as organizations get older and larger, their efforts get directed more and more towards maintaining their existence (as they are) and less and less towards their original purpose

very true, just look at the Leafs... [big Grin]

quote:

Originally posted by CharlieDon'tSurf:

if God's little kid hadda made it to old age, they would have been dragging him round the Middle East, nothing more than a shell, just to re-energize the faith of the masses

From Jesus Was A Capricorn by Kris Kristofferson:

quote:

Lyrics by Kris Kristofferson:

Jesus was a Capricorn, he ate organic foods.

He believed in love and peace and never wore no shoes.

Long hair, beard and sandals and a funky bunch of friends.

Reckon they'd just nail him up if He come down again.

Aloha,

Brad