Jambands.ca

Great news for drunk campers!

Guest Low Roller

Guest Low Roller

I've seen plastic beer bottle before. The first time was from a small micro-brewery in Perth, I believe they even called it Perth beer, some 8 years ago.

Back in the mid-to-late '80s, there was a microbrewery boom, and breweries like Conners and Ottawa Valley sold their beers in 1 litre and 2 litre plastic bottles. I don't think I've seen single-serving* plastic bottles.

Aloha,

Brad

* OK, 1 litre could be a single serving...

Plastic beer bottle unveiled

WATERLOO, ONTARIO - An Ontario company has produced the country's first plastic bottle for beer.

Brick Brewing of Waterloo, Ont., unveiled its new light-weight alternative: PET or polyethylene terephthalate. The bottle had been in development for more than a year.

Brick will be selling its Yellow Label Lager in a four-bottle (each 473-ml or 16 oz) plastic pack.

-

Brick officials say plastic bottles have several benefits:

> chills quickly

> stays cold longer than glass and cans

> are re-sealable

> unbreakable

The bottles are also recyclable.

Plastic bottles have been used by European breweries with little success.

"This isn't your typical 'you-brew' plastic beer bottle," says Jim Brickman, founder and president of Brick Brewery. "This innovative and unique wide mouth plastic beer bottle has taken years to develop and test."

Marketing experts say Brick is taking a chance on the plastic bottles. Most consumers still prefer glass which accounts for 70 per cent of all domestic beer sales in Canada. The rest is sold in cans or on tap.

Brick was also the first brewery to bring back the stubby bottle.

quote:

Originally posted by Low Roller:

I've seen plastic beer bottle before. The first time was from a small micro-brewery in Perth, I believe they even called it Perth beer, some 8 years ago.

perth has a micro-brewery????

that's where a lot of my family is from.

i guess i'd better make a visit to grandma soon...