Jambands.ca

U2's 2005 Tour is launched Monday!

TimmyB

I can't wait to see the current BIGGEST BAND IN THE WORLD this year!

U2.Com Subscription: Tour Countdown Begins

U2's 2005 'Vertigo Tour' is launched Monday - anyone wanting to be part of

the presale, would be well advised to subscribe to U2.Com by Monday night!

Yesterday we revealed that the 'Vertigo Tour' will be announced worldwide

this Monday, kicking off on the west coast of the US and heading to Europe

for the summer.

We're expecting to reveal more details any time, with the official

announcement on dates, venues, cities and ticketing information following on

Monday.

Meantime, word is that due to anticipated demand, fans interested in taking

part in the advance ticket sale (open only to subscribed members of U2.Com) should take out a subscription by Monday night latest - just to be on the safe side!

Incidentally, in case you missed it, Kings of Leon will be playing support

in the US. More Vertigo Tour news as we get it - keep checking back on U2.Com.

We'll also be mailing U2.Com Members later on today with details of how they

can participate in the ticket presale next week.

I agree and it isn't really debatable: U2 is currently the biggest rock band in the world. They ain't the best or even close to my favourite, but you'd have to be a fool not to recognize their popularity.

Wise words.

That's why I got hooked up with the www.u2.com Subscription because I'm concerned that I won't be able to get good tickets otherwise, or even worse no tickets at all.

Hey Booche, I'll be making posts about in the weeks and/or days leading up to the onsale for the upcoming U2 shows in Toronto/Ontario/Montreal/etc. If you're not on the ball then you won't have a hope in hell.

That's why I got hooked up with the www.u2.com Subscription

Yeah U2 is huge... Too bad they stopped making music based on their laurels and decided to become big pop stars... I personally think their music took a turn for the worse when they did... Lemon is when I knew it was over, at least for me. I was into them back in 88-89, before all that happened, and it really saddened me to hear them put that song out...

"Hey Booche, I'll be making posts about in the weeks and/or days leading up to the onsale for the upcoming U2 shows in Toronto/Ontario/Montreal/etc. If you're not on the ball then you won't have a hope in hell."

Thanks TimmyB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I cant believe I have never seen them.

U2 experimented with electronic based music, which saw them achieve some sort of commercial success ( so has Radiohead ). I don't like either band's electronic-based music for the most part, but if U2 kept putting out rock albums in the Josua Tree style, they may have no fans left today. You can only repeat yourself for so long before people get bored. I'm looking firmly in your direction Tragically Hip.

from www.billboard.com

Edited By Jonathan Cohen. January 21, 2005, 12:00 AM ET

U2 World Tour To Kick Off In San Diego

U2 will kick off its 2005 world tour March 28 at the San Diego Sports Arena, Billboard can exclusively reveal. Kings Of Leon will open the first leg of the trek, tickets for which will begin going on sale Jan. 29. The tour, named Vertigo after the first single from U2's new Interscope album, "How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb," will be officially announced Monday (Jan. 24).

"One of the great privileges of working with U2 is you get to go on the road with them," longtime manager Paul McGuinness tells Billboard. "We are, I suppose, that rarest of things: a major touring attraction that is still having number one records all over the world after 25 years."

Even though its kick-off is still two months away, Vertigo will likely be the top-grossing trek of 2005. Conservative estimates put the tour's gross potential at $225-$250 million from as many as 110 shows.

The first North American leg will run for two months and wrap in Boston in late May. Afterward, the tour will hit some 30 European stadiums, beginning June 10 in Brussels. The band will stay in Europe through mid-August, then return to North America for another run of 30 arena dates.

Ticket prices will average $90, including $49.50 on the low end and $165 on the high end. On the 2001 Elevation tour in support of the album "All That You Can't Leave Behind," the range was $45-$135.

As on that trek, the arena floor will be general admission for about 1,700-1,800 seats, depending on the building. And, like Elevation, the tour will feature unique production elements.

"This tour will be not unlike the last production in that the lowest priced tickets will be on the floor," says McGuinness. "The best seats are the cheapest, and we want people to get excited." He adds that details on distribution of floor tickets will be forthcoming. "Some will be on sale, some will be radio contest winners," McGuinness says.

It is possible some shows will be available as digital downloads. "We're exploring technology where it might be possible to download the show you've just seen," says McGuinness. "We've been talking to iTunes and the folks at Apple, with whom we have a great relationship, but it's not quite there yet. We're certainly looking at it."

A tour DVD is also likely. "We always do that," McGuinness says, "but that will come towards the latter end of the tour."

As reported yesterday, U2 is among the first acts confirmed to perform at the Grammys on Feb. 13 in Los Angeles. The group is nominated for three awards, including best rock song and best short form music video for "Vertigo."

-- Ray Waddell, Nashville

U2 experimented with electronic based music, which saw them achieve some sort of commercial success ( so has Radiohead ). I don't like either band's electronic-based music for the most part, but if U2 kept putting out rock albums in the Josua Tree style, they may have no fans left today. You can only repeat yourself for so long before people get bored. I'm looking firmly in your direction Tragically Hip.

you know that's a really good point... I have to agree with Del as well, I was in love with their music, fu©k, I moved to Belfast, I had an opportunity to live and feel what that whole situation was like over there, and to see them come out with this pop sh!t, just really rubs me the wrong way, I'm disappointed, there music was once so powerful, and now I find their music to be quite empty, but, then again, maybe they wouldn't be playing still??? Anyhow, I hope Timmy B and Booche and whomever else have a blast going to see them...

I haven't seen much of a decline, most bands have few stinkers, even entire albums or periods of time where people lose interest in them. Eventually they evolve or they fall off the face of the earth.

I like their newer single (the Ipod one) and would love to see them in concert at least once before I die.

I was in love with their music, fu©k, I moved to Belfast, I had an opportunity to live and feel what that whole situation was like over there

Just out of curiousity, are you suggesting that your deep, abiding love for U2 was the reason that you moved to Belfast, or was that just a coincidence?

Aren't U2 from Dublin? I know that a handful of their songs deal with The Troubles (like "Sunday Bloody Sunday"), but I thought they themselves were from the Republic of Eire, not Northern Ireland...

no, I did not move to Belfast because of U2, yes, they are from Ireland, but, the country of Ireland differs geographically depending on whom you are talking to... so I would say more than a handful of songs were inspired by the plight of their "struggle" from William of Orange til the 90s" I still remember Trimble--Bono--Adams holding hands at Westminister following a free U2 show, and no, I don't think they played the "Lemon Song" that day Del. :: anyhow, once again, to each their own. I don't want to argue this, I hope y'all have a wonderful time at the U2 shows this summer...

I guess other than those on the board from Vancouver, BC we are all going to have to wait until the second leg of the U2 'Vertigo' Tour to see them.

I'm surprised there are not Toronto and/or Montreal dates, let alone Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Cleveland and/or Detroit! All of which I would have been willing to attend.

Now I'm debating on getting tickets for MSG in NYC. Oh what to do, what to do?