Jambands.ca

26 yrs ago 2nite the Dead achieved perfection

Hux

Oh, it's a great show, no doubt, but - imo - entirely overrated. EVERYONE who is into the Dead should hear it, cherish it, and encourage everyone else to hear it, but some may say it's the finest Dead show of all time, and I wouldn't even out it in the top 5.

I actually prefer the Buffalo show from 5/9, the next night.

I think the Dead were at their vocal peak during this era....Jerry's voice started to go downhill a little after that, and it's my favourite Weir vocal era....mind you, some of that 80's stuff with Brent was also pretty damn good....Brokedown Palace comes to mind...

Ahhh, to be young and dumb again. As "over-rated" as that show may be, it didnt happen anyways.

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not my words but a very reliable source.

There's been a lot of talk lately about the legendary fake show on 5/8/77. I've kept my silence on the subject for 22 years ... now it's finally time to come clean on the whole subject.

The whole idea began back in late 1969/early 1970. The Department of Defense and the CIA were very disappointed by the way the Vietnam War was progressing. Not only were we losing but, more importantly, the US public did not approve of the war and, worse yet, weren't believing everything the military said about what was happening. This

was an unprecidented event. Every other recent war was viewed positively by the public ... or at least with apathy in the case of Korea. Something had to be done. They decided to take a page from the Soviets and experiment with mind control. Together with Disney and a fledgling computer company called Microsoft, they set out to prove that brainwashing could really work on the very people who opposed them: the hippies.

It isn't widely known but Cornell was actually the second test of these mind control procedures. The first occurred in mid-1975 and was a dismal failure. 2 major mistakes were made. First, they picked the one time that the Dead were not touring. This created all sorts of problems with the subject audience. The more serious mistake was in not updating

the criteria of the experiment. Due to typical government inefficiency, they used the 1969 version of the Dead that was playing when the program was conceived. The sudden appearance of Pigpen, who had died 2 years earlier, litterally blew the minds of those in attendance. 6 months were

spent erasing all traces of the "show" and carefully rebuilding as much of their minds as possible. The subjects were eventually released and most of them became evangelists, their only lingering memory of the whole experiment being an unshakeable belief that they'd witnessed a true miracle.

Unfortunatly, no tapes have been found from this first experiment. That's a real shame because the version of Dark Star->St Stephen->Eleven->Lovelight used was supposedly the best ever. After a few drinks, the original scientists still speak in awe about the music heard that day.

By Nov 1977, everyone was ready for the second test. This time, they learned from their mistakes. A small group of college students (including yours truely) were hired to attend shows from 1976 through 1977. Our job was to collect tapes of the Dead's performances, select which tunes to use, and to

help identify subjects for the upcomming experiment. The location and date were chosen with equal care. It was a off-day during the tour and the location close enough to the real concerts to be believed. Of more importance was the late snowfall that day. That unusual and easily confirmed

event provided the glue that would hold the implanted memories together. Even now 22 years later, people "remembering" that concert use almost

identical words to discribe leaving the show.

Overall, the experiment was a great success. Of course, some people were given slightly different memories. Some, like Teddy Goodbear, "remember" taping the show and were even provided "Audience" tapes to further cement the hoax. Still others remember getting "horribly smashed" up front. None of this actually occured.

A week after the "concert" experiment, a 2nd test was done on the town of Cornell itself. In order to perfect this hoax, the town itself must also be convinced that the concert took place. Disney had acquired owner- ship of all the local TV and radio stations through dummy corporations. Using special chips developed by Microsoft, they played sublimbminal

messages to every man, woman and child in a 100 mile radius of Barton Hall. For the most part, this programming still holds today although some people did prove resistant to the message.

As far as the source of the music, for the most part the list posted by "brew ziggins" is correct. The only mystery remaining is the Scarlet-> Fire. That was actually performed by the Dead specifically for this experiment. Since Jerry worked for the CIA, it was easy to convince him and the rest of the band to go along. Plus he liked the idea of "pranking"

a large group of people like this. The fabled 2/6/77 "take a step back" rehearsal tape is also from material taped for these experiments.

The soundboard tapes in circulation were leaked by Betty O'Connell who edited the orginal tapes. I don't know if it was just a coincidence or not, but they were leaked at about the same time as the tapes recorded by Betty Cantor were found. In any event, they became part of the so-called "Betty Boards". Leaking these tapes also provided the first cracks in the hoax to appear since the tapes were distributed to people who were not in the experiment and who knew that no show was performed that day. It was necessary to obtain their silence through blackmail,

bribery and in extreme cases, mind control itself. That's also how this "show" came to be listed in all the popular Dead show guides like DeadBase.

So what's happened to these mind control techniques used in this experiment? I got out of the program in 1978 but it's obvious that they are still being used today. Microsoft has used this power to become one of the biggest, most influencial companies in history. They sure didn't become that big by providing quality products. It was used to shape public reation to the Gulf War. It's also clear that George Bush never understood the full power of these methods. After the Gulf War, the technology was leaked to a young

governer who used them to be sucessfully elected to 2 terms as president and remain in power dispite facing numerous charges that should have seen him removed from office or even thrown in prision. There are also indications

that this technology might explain the otherwise unbelievable popularity of rap music.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"BARTON HALL, ITHACA, NY 5/8/77"

Track listing Actual Source

------------ ---------------

1.Minglewood Blues [4:47] Winterland 3/20/77

2.Loser [7:30] Springfield 4/23/77

3.El Paso [4:22] Chicago 5/13/77

4.They Love Each Other [6:59] Lakeland 5/21/77

5.Jack Straw [6:00] Tempe 10/6/77

6.Deal [5:43] St. Paul 5/11/77

7.Lazy Lightnin' [3:29] > St. Louis 5/15/77

8.Supplication [4:21] "

9.Brown-Eyed Women [5:12] Winterland 6/8/77

10.Mama Tried [2:37] Seattle 9/29/77

11.Row Jimmy [10:52] Fox, Atlanta 5/19/77

12.Dancin' in the Streets [15:43] Pembroke Pines 5/22/77 (DP3)

Set II:

13.Scarlet Begonias [9:14] > ???

14.Fire on the Mountain [15:21] ???

15.Estimated Prophet [8:32] Passaic NJ 4/27/77

16.St. Stephen [4:43] > Mostly Passaic NJ 6/18/76

17.Not Fade Away [16:22] > with some tricky splicing of the

18.St. Stephen [1:53] > middle of an unidentifed NFA

19.Morning Dew [13:36] Cow Palace 12/31/76

Encore:

20.One More Saturday Night [4:54] Springfield 4/23/77

Rest of the thread

Guest Low Roller

Has anybody actually listened to the 'original' dates, and compared them to the 5/08/77 show?

What would the government have to gain by giving the hippies the perfect Dead show?

Guest Low Roller

Jerry worked for the CIA? Never saw that one coming. Was he in their Experimental Drug Research Laboratory Division? [Wink]

Cheers Booche~

For me GD hit perfection when good ol' Pig was still around.

This one is probally one of my favourites.

05-04-72 Olympia Theater, Paris, France (Thu)

1:

Greatest, Deal, Mr. Charlie, BIODTL, B. E. Women, Chinatown Shuffle, Playin, You Win Again, Hurts Me Too, He's Gone, El Paso, Big RxR Blues, Two Souls in communion , Casey Jones

2:

Good Lovin, Next Time, Ramble On, Jack Straw, Dark Star> Drums> Dark Star> Sugar Magnolia, Sing Me Back Home, Mexicali, Big Boss Man, Uncle John, NFA> GDTRFB> NFA

E: Saturday Night

"Sugar Magnolia" appears on "Europe '72"

Keeping in the month of may.

But for me the perfect show was 06.21.84

Canada's Wonderland w/ The Band~((my first))

Be Kind~ [big Grin]

quote:

Originally posted by Dr. Huxtable:

...it's just so pure, and flawless...the playing, the vocals...all ON....no mistakes....better than most bands could do in a studio.....

So long as we're all nitpickers... Bobby *does* start the verse a little early on Dancing. I'm just saying is all.

I prefer the show the day before for song selection and killer versions of Half-Step, Tennessee Jed, TMNS, Terrapin, FOTD (Keith is amazing here -- I swear he does a Steely Dan run), Eyes and The Wheel.

P.S. Quit perpetrating that bold faced lie about this show being a hoax. [Mad][smile]

"Those 95 shows were far more "historic" than anything that has happened since" yeah, because they were historically terrible.

Ollie.....it was the rest of the band that came in late on that Dancin', Bobby started where they should've, and they weren't there! [Razz]

quote:

Originally posted by Dr. Huxtable:

c'mon guys....we're celebrating the birthday of this fantastic HISTORIC
[Razz]
show!!! Let's celebrate it!!

Ok... that is one helluva Morning Dew to finish the 2nd set... I remember the first time I heard this version, and this was real close to me just getting into the Dead, the tension that was created before the climax really blew me away and left an impression. I haven't heard a better one since.

Archived