Jambands.ca

03/22: TOOTS AND THE MAYTALS in Toronto

phunkyb

don't do it! if it's anything like toots and the maytals i saw twice maybe 3 and 4 years ago he's horrible! super cheese (and not possibly in a good way) and really weak music. the show he played in victoria he was so not focussed or into the music, he was having it out with some woman in the front row -- she was visibly pissed off and stormed backstage, he followed her (while the band carried on). very poor performance both times. the second time i saw him it was a really ugly scene too--> like obnoxious and nasty bar-stars, not the irie reggae vibe at all. (and not because there weren't the irie type around - a few weeks before i saw a sweet (best reggae show EVER) israel vibration show in the same theatre, and the crowd was excellent and loving it).

i have his anthology discs and i used to dig em like crazy, but i don't listen to 'em much anymore cause of the impression i got from him... straight up playing for money... no love there at all :(

boooooooo toooots booooooo :: :(

Oh Moose! That's horrible. I was so excited about that show. I have been digging Toots & the Maytals since I was a little one. I'm checking it out anyway. I hope my experience will be better than yours.

Sheesh! I'm a little worried though. I don't want it to ruin my love of that funky reggae. I'm glad I know that going in though. I'd better get a Plan B. :(

i was at that 2nd show with mooose

it was in Boulder, CO which is a poser "bar-star" town anyway!

yeah...it was aweful!

we sold our tix for the second night as soon as we could.

i think that first show you mentioned with the girl in the front row was Lee Scratch Perry @ Legends in Victoria...wasn't it??

anyhoo...gave Toots another chance last summer at a free show in nathan phillips square....BORING!

i was at that 2nd show with mooose

it was in Boulder, CO which is a poser "bar-star" town anyway!

yeah...it was aweful!

we sold our tix for the second night as soon as we could.

maybe boulder is a town full of posers, but you gotta admit the issy vibes show was pure golden sweetness. and the crowd was feelin it.

i think that first show you mentioned with the girl in the front row was Lee Scratch Perry @ Legends in Victoria...wasn't it??

you're totally right - my mistake.