Jambands.ca

Hiway Freeker Thursday night at Dekcuf!!!!!

Hux

Will someone explain to me why Hiway Freeker aren't hugely popular? Put 'em up against (or opening for) someone like Diana Krall (against whom I have nothing) at a jazz festival, and there'd be no comparison. Freeker should be doing the festival circuit, and be shown off to the world as Canadian superstars.

Aloha,

Brad

P.S. Did Kitari make it home OK?

I can safely say that was the sexiest, most seductive version of "Ballad Of A Thin Man" I've ever heard [Wink]

Oh yeah, all of the musicians were awesome but I just loved the keyboard player's electric piano work ... at different points it reminded me of Chick Corea's work with Miles Davis or Ray Manzarek on "Riders On The Storm" (and yes, that is a compliment [Razz] )

Rob Not Bob

Although I wasn't there last night, I have played on the same stage, and right beside Mark (the keys player). I agree with Rob (not Bob), he is a master of that Whurly. Watching him and talking to him, I have learned a lot about Electric Piano riffs. All that and he is a super nice guy.

Phred

quote:

Originally posted by Phred:

Although I wasn't there last night, I have played on the same stage, and right beside Mark (the keys player). I agree with Rob (not Bob), he is a master of that Whurly. Watching him and talking to him, I have learned a lot about Electric Piano riffs. All that and he is a super nice guy.

Phred

Strange question, but does anyone know if he is married? My wife has a theory based on her experience both being in bands and having worked at a lot of venues , more of an observation, that keyboard players never seem to have girlfriends, however many of them have wives [smile]

Rob Not Bob

Scientist

NP : Patti Smith - Radio Ethiopia

Sorry to be a noodge, but does anyone have any Hiway Freeker gigs on CD they would be willing to trade? As I won't be able to make their next gig in the region, I would love to have something of theirs to listen to and show off to my friends and family [smile] My list is at http://db.etree.org/rainmakerrtv if anyone can help me out.

Cheers,

Rob Not Bob

As soon as Bradm gets one of them recent shows together, I'll get it up here to take up all the download space we have.

Hiway Freeker was incredible last night. Nobody is allowed to miss them next time they come. They are playing in Wakefield at the BlackSheep (Mouton noir?) on the 15th of Feb.

Boy do they ever have their shit together! I've never enjoyed one note pulsing on the bass before last night.

I miss them already

quote:

Originally posted by bouche:

As soon as Bradm gets one of them recent shows together, I'll get it up here to take up all the download space we have.

Hiway Freeker was incredible last night. Nobody is allowed to miss them next time they come. They are playing in Wakefield at the BlackSheep (Mouton noir?) on the 15th of Feb.

Boy do they ever have their shit together! I've never enjoyed one note pulsing on the bass before last night.

I miss them already

Oddly enough, there is a very cool one note bass drone song by Echo & The Bunnymen that was playing in my car when I got in to work. Damned if I can remember the name, though.

Unfortunately, I don't have any choice but to miss their Wakefield gig as that is exactly the same day as my annual Winter Of Discontent party [Frown] Oh well, next time ...

Rob Not Bob

wistful

quote:

Originally posted by Dr. Huxtable:

nice list Rob!!

You have a interesting gap in your GD, no shows from 78-86....??

Ran out of disc space [smile] Also, for me that is very satisfactorily filled by commercial releases.

Rob Not Bob

NP : Patti Smith - Radio Ethiopia

Yeah, I know I mentioned this already, but Distant Fingers is one of my all time favorite songs ... "Ohhhhhhhhhhh, I am waiting for you ..."

quote:

Originally posted by rainmakerrtv:

Strange question, but does anyone know if he is married? My wife has a theory based on her experience both being in bands and having worked at a lot of venues , more of an observation, that keyboard players never seem to have girlfriends, however many of them have wives
[smile]

Talking to him I don't think that he is. Not sure though.

I am a keyboard player and am married, and no longer have a girlfriend. However, if you knew me 2 years ago, I would have not been married and I would have had a girlfriend.

The keys player from Quivertwist (Rick) is dating the Sax player from Quivertwist (Angie). They have been dating almost a decade and live together now, so they are practically married. Soory Rick, didn't mean to push your relationship forward [smile][smile][smile]

Hey Kit girl, I think it had less to do with too much excitment and more to do with too much pink, shots, rum and coke ........ [Razz][smile] I think there are some pictures, too? [big Grin]

No worries, Brad, as Dana and I took good care of our Kitari!

Love HighwayFreaker. They were absolutely slammin, IMHO.

Archived