Jambands.ca

CRIA on downloading music

bouche

And what the hell is "BraM"? I mean, I may not have the most buff of torsos, but I won't be needing any of that kind of support, if you get my drift...

(And Chameleon, you're busted on the edit, because bouche quoted you before you changed "BraM" to "BradM".)

Aloha,

Brad

fuck, it's hot in here. I should have brought my shades.

Anyway. I took this from the CRIA website:

Myth: Uploading music and buring it without the consent of the creator may be illegal, but isn't the music industry exaggerating the effect on the music sector?

There is overwhelming evidence that unauthorized copying and distribution means less music is sold.

For example, look at the way sales of albums have fallen while internet uploads have soared. During one four-month period of 2002, the number of music files available on pirate sites nearly doubled from 500 million to 900 million. At the same time global music sales in 2002 fell by around 7%. As a result around 250 million fewer albums were sold in 2002 than in 2001.

Uploading and mass copying weren't necessarily the only reason for this decline - but they definitely had a major impact.

In particular, sales of the top-selling artists are declining: in 2001 for the first time in many years no album sold more than ten million copies in the world's largest market, America - a pattern almost repeated in 2002 when only one album - Eminem's The Eminem Show - passed the ten million sales mark. And as sales of the bigger names fall, there are repercussions for the growth and support of new talent.

Perhaps the most worrying development is that the majority of people downloading music from the internet are young music fans, who are also the biggest consumers of music. 41% of young people in Europe who get music 'for free' say they buy less CDs, compared to only 19% who buy more.

A whole new generation of music lovers is damaging the very diversity they look out for in music.

Perhaps they have some updating of their policies to look into. Also I notice they don't have a stance on live music recordings. I'd be interested to see a study on how they affect record sales.