Jambands.ca

Hasn't hit me yet

darth_taiter

Just a personal thought, but I think Blue Rodeo's "Hasn't hit me yet/Cold December Night" could possibly be the best song in Canadian history.

While I realize that there are valid arguments for Lightfoot, Hip, Rush, Guess Who, etc. there is a spirit to this song that exudes the character of Canadian people. The lyrics and countryish slide guitar I am sure speaks to most of the population.

"If You Could Read My Mind" is probably a better song, but obviously this is personal. I would be interested in seeing a Top 5 of best Canadian songs for the board.

I'll vote for "Hasn't hit me yet", good point!

Gordon Lightfoot drives me crazy, there is a certain uber laid back Canadian thing goin' on there that I can't relate to. Blasphemy I know, but it's how I feel.

I'd shamelessly slide Bobcaygeon in there by The Tragically Hip. Makes you feel somethin Canadianaesqueish.

Deeps

I'd have to say "Hasn't Hit me Yet" is one of the most universally loved songs in Canada. And you're right, I don't know that it would work the same anywhere else.

If we're talking Lightfoot, while my list would include a chunk of his tunes, I think it would be damn near heretical if "Canadian Railroad Trilogy" wasn't mentioned.

Did anyone listen to the series on CBC radio about a year ago that took on this very exercise?

"Five Days In July" is really essential listening for any Canadian. It's a classic from start to finish, and yes "Hasn't Hit Me Yet" stands near the top of that pack.

Their "Stereovision" DVD retrospective has some great footage of Blue Rodeo performing the tune on Conan back in the day. They were wookies - who knew?!?

Did anyone listen to the series on CBC radio about a year ago that took on this very exercise?

Here is the list from last year.

1. Ian and Sylvia, "Four Strong Winds"

2. Barenaked Ladies, "If I Had $1,000,000"

3. Neil Young, "Heart of Gold"

4. Stan Rogers, "Northwest Passage"

5. The Guess Who, "American Woman"

6. Gordon Lightfoot, "Canadian Railroad Trilogy"

7. Joni Mitchell, "Both Sides Now"

8. Leonard Cohen, "Suzanne"

9. Joni Mitchell, "Big Yellow Taxi"

10. Gordon Lightfoot, "Early Morning Rain"

11. Bruce Cockburn, "Lovers in a Dangerous Time"

12. Stompin' Tom Connors, "The Hockey Song"

13. Tom Cochrane, "Life Is a Highway"

14. Blue Rodeo, "Try"

15. The Band, "The Weight"

16. The Tragically Hip, "New Orleans is Sinking"

17. Bryan Adams, "Summer of '69"

18. Bachman-Turner Overdrive, "Takin' Care of Business"

19. Anne Murray, "Snowbird"

20. Sarah McLachlan, "Angel"

21. k.d. lang, "Constant Craving"

22. Spirit of the West, "Home For a Rest"

23. The Guess Who, "These Eyes"

24. Neil Young, "Rockin' in the Free World"

25. Gordon Lightfoot, "Sundown"

26. Buffy Sainte-Marie, "Universal Soldier"

27. The Tragically Hip, "Courage (for Hugh MacLennan)"

28. Alanis Morissette, "You Oughta Know"

29. Bruce Cockburn, "Wondering Where the Lions Are"

30. Gilles Vigneault, "Mon Pays"

31. Trooper, "Raise a Little Hell"

[color:red]32. Blue Rodeo, "Hasn't Hit Me Yet"

33. Rush, "Tom Sawyer"

34. Hank Snow, "I'm Movin' On"

35. Martha and the Muffins, "Echo Beach"

36. Men Without Hats, "The Safety Dance"

37. k-os, "Crabbuckit"

38. Rough Trade, "High School Confidential"

39. Sam Roberts, "Brother Down"

40. Paul Anka, "Diana"

41. Ron Hynes, "Sonny's Dream"

42. Leonard Cohen, "Tower of Song"

43. The Crew Cuts, "Sh'Boom"

44. Parachute Club, "Rise Up"

45. Sloan, "Coax Me"

46. Maestro Fresh Wes, "Let Your Backbone Slide"

47. Tommy Dorsey, "I'll Never Smile Again"

48. Rush, "Fly By Night"

49. D.O.A., "Disco Sucks"

50. Wilf Carter, "My Swiss Moonlight Lullaby"

Edited by Guest

bnl over neil?

Steve here is how the list was made.

The list unfolded over ten weeks, with five songs added each week for eight weeks. A further ten songs were added by listener input in the ninth week. Panelists included Terry David Mulligan, Jay Ferguson, Lorraine Segato, Laurie Brown, Damhnait Doyle, Denise Donlon, Geoff Pevere, Leah McLaren, Lee Aaron, Jennifer Hollett and Emm Gryner. After the 50 songs were chosen, a listener vote was held to rank them.

Seems to me we have two lists here. The CBC list purports to be the "best songs written by Canadians." The original list posted seemed to be songs written by Canadians that best captured the essence of Canada - the people and place. With that provision in place, there are many songs on the CBC list that wouldn't be on the first list. There's no way New Orleans is Sinking is more Canadian than say Bobcaygeon or Courage or Fifty Mission Cap. Or the Weight before Acadian Driftwood or Heart of Gold before Helpless or even American Woman before Running Back to Saskatoon etc. and where are the Rheostatics?

• 2 weeks later...

How about Avril "Losing Grip"

Honestly just listen to that song.

And for the that top 100 I can't believe there would not be more Hip tunes in there, give me a break.

But I am happy with my post, for some reason I had no idea who Ian & Sylvia were but now I do. Go Canada, christ what am I doing it's not even close to Canada Day yet. I should make a point to be at that place next year.