Jambands.ca

QOTD: Criminally Overlooked Bands

Jaimoe

I'm cranking Galaxie 500's "Peel Sessions" right now and it got me thinking about criminally overlooked bands. Name some bands that should have been alot bigger than there were in their day:

Galaxie 500

Luna

Television

Nick Drake

Velvet Underground (In their day)

Lenny Breau

The Replacements - I'm not sure they apply, but these days, they're sort of forgotten.

nero

Rocket From The Tombs http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&token=ADFEAEE57E1DDD4BAC7220C093294DCD8B79CD0BDF4FF6AE162F5E58DDBC3D068E027BFD6FF2DB96D7A727F535ABE02DBB580FD3CCA250F6DF66373E8BFEC61D&sql=11:nyfm967odep7~T1

I'd like to add The Stooges, but they still remain damned influential and kick mofo ass.

I think Junior Brown should be bigger than he is, but country music wouldn't know what to do with him if he was.

centromatic

cuff the duke

black rebel motorcycle club

I've never heard of the first band, but I'll challenge you on the other two. BRMC are pretty well known and have had commercial success - and Cuff are a fledgeling band on the cusp of something pretty special... if they can re-group after their recent "restructuring".

I thought immediately of Stiff Little Fingers - but my old roommate played and talked about them so much that I was led to believe they were only a notch lower than The Clash in importance. But since I don't live with him any more, I agree with you wholeheartedly Esau. Fucking brilliant band.

Edited by Guest

Frontier Index kick ass.

Oooo another convert!! Excellent. They really are that good. I've been trying to get them to Ottawa for such a long time now but it's hard for them to do.

(Shameless plug below)

05/05/2006 09:00 PM - Hamilton, The Casbah w/ The Ride Theory

05/06/2006 08:00 PM - Stratford, Falstaff's w/ The Ride Theory

05/17/2006 09:00 PM - Waterloo, The Starlight w/ The Ride Theory

05/25/2006 08:00 PM - Guelph, E Bar w/ The Ride Theory

I really think Mono, Ted Leo & The Pharmacists, Silver Hearts, Deadly Snakes, Jim Guthrie, Greenfield Main, and Boom Bip (among many others) would kinda fit into this category as well.

AD