Jambands.ca

Question Re: United Way

Patchoulia

Phorbesie's thread about the firefighters and their fund-raising activities/harrassment reminded me of a question I wanted to ask...Does the United Way pressure corporations to harrass their employees to donate during their annual campaign or do corporations simply employ these methods of their own accord?

Every company for whom I've worked has undertaken some *very* aggravating fund-raising methods related to the United Way.

At one company, you actually had to OPT OUT of donating or they'd deduct a pre-set amount (based on your salary level) from your pay cheque.

When I did, in fact, opt out, a woman from the fund-raising committee followed me into the BATHROOM to harrass me about it!

"I've been assigned to ask you why you don't want to donate to the United Way."

Yes, that actually happened.

Cursory polling of my co-workers reveals they've had similar experiences.

Anyone else?

When I did, in fact, opt out, a woman from the fund-raising committee followed me into the BATHROOM to harrass me about it!

"I've been assigned to ask you why you don't want to donate to the United Way."

My response to that would be, "Who says I'm not donating to the United Way?" All the person knows is that you're not donating through the office, and that person has no authority to force you to disclose how much (or even whether) you give outside of the office.

The campaign at my office is very noticable, but isn't heavy-handed at all.

Aloha,

Brad

When I did' date=' in fact, opt out, a woman from the fund-raising committee followed me into the BATHROOM to harrass me about it!

"I've been assigned to ask you why you don't want to donate to the United Way."[/quote']

My response to that would be, "Who says I'm not donating to the United Way?" All the person knows is that you're not donating through the office, and that person has no authority to force you to disclose how much (or even whether) you give outside of the office.

The campaign at my office is very noticable, but isn't heavy-handed at all.

Aloha,

Brad

My initial response was slack-jawed shock.

Then I snarkily responded, "Because charities to which I donate are nobody's business but my own."

She didn't inquire further after that.

The company I work with brought in a dunk tank and had a bbq to kick off the United Way campaign. I went down for a hot dog and watched the dunk tank action... up until some zany woman, trying to be cute, went up and just hit the dunk tank target with her hand... I went back up to my desk to check out the internet.

I think Brad said it best: It's none of their business whether you do or do not support the United Way and how you support them if at all.

A mandated pay stub donation (which would make me go postal and is completely unethical to me) that you opt out of shouldn't be frowned upon. They could give you the occasional United Way brochure with your paycheque as a reminder and that wouldn't be too intrusive.

All that to say - it's not the United Way's tactics so much as the employer's tactics that aren't quite kosher.

funny y'all are discussing this today because i just retrieved from my mailbox here at work a very thick envelope from human resources specifically addressed to me, which contained a letter, large glossy pamphlet, long donation form as well as a return envelope from, guess where ... the United Way.

certainly a worthy charity, but i wonder about their cost ratio in sending out such an expensive package. the canadian charity cost ratio "benchmark" is said to be 26% - for every dollar you give, 74 cents goes to actual programs. united way claims cost ratios less than 20%, but it's an umbrella organization which filters money down to other charities like big sisters, etc, which in turn would have administrative costs associated with this funding.

personally, i dont give at work, or generally at my home door (unless it's a neighbour I know). i do put change in the slot in the dog's head for the humane society. but gosh, ive never been followed into the bathroom at work ... well, you know, for a charitable donation, i mean.