Jambands.ca

PC or Mac for Live production?

TheAlphaNerd

I've been putting my gear together for the last couple month's, finally need to buy a laptop for live production sets.

I'm using ableton, and a variety of midi controllers / synth's.

Do you suggest I spend the extra money and get the mac book pro, or should I get a pc, save the money, and invest in more equipment.

Thank you all in advance for the time.

Countdown to the Appletards in 1...2...3...

You must have missed the memo...its no longer fashionable to diss people who diss PCs.

The current trend is to hate on people who hate on people who hate on PCs.

And when the fuck did a "countdown" ever count up from 1 to 3?

Happy Friday Ollie!

Edited by Guest

Countdown to the Appletards in 1...2...3...

You must have missed the memo...its no longer fashionable to diss people who diss PCs.

The current trend is to hate on people who hate on people who hate on PCs.

And when the fuck did a "countdown" ever count up from 1 to 3?

Happy Friday Ollie!

hahhaa.... good 'tard pointing out action !

It seems to me that since you've got your solution in the software. You can easily get a pc laptop with the same specs as a mac for much less.

btw' date=' cool demo on that site.[/url'] I have never seen ableton before. I see it in torrent downloads from time to time though.

So I made the decision... and went mac. The real truth of it all was that for a pc laptop with similar stats I would have save maybe 200 bucks... and for 200 bucks I got the POWER.

Now the question becomes what external sound card....

something by M-Audio?

+1 to firewire. USB2 may have good numbers on paper but as far as what I've been told over and over from people using the gear, Firewire is better for sustained data transfer than USB.

You'd have to get either a used macbook or a new macbook pro to get firewire on a Mac.

Unless you know why you prefer macs, I'd say get a PC. What you don't know might just save you $500 and still get you a great computer for live production.

So I did it

Ended up getting the ProSonus Firebox

Pretty good bang for the buck.

Problem with the m-audio was the jump in price between their entry level and mid level external cards... plus they were all usb 2.0

Now the rig is finally done. Waiting on the last few parts to come in the mail and then I'm going to rip it up!