Jambands.ca

RC: SPAC

Hartamophone

I missed "Harpua" in 2003 in PA so to finally get it in Upstate NY made the drive well worth while.

Also it was great to see Phish play "I've Been Around" which was the last song off of 'Joy' that they had yet to perform live.

Now if only I could go to Festival 8.

Peace,

Tim

http://www.pjsbarbq.com/

Anyways, regarding the show. We were in row H on the balcony, between Page and Trey. I thought it was a fairly solid show with hits and misses but I couldn’t hear Page very well all night and Mike was quite muddy throughout most of the first set (they fixed him by the 2nd set). The energy to start the show was fantastic inside for Llama and Moma Dance. Actually, regarding the latter, I knew it was Moma even before hearing a note simply from the dance Trey was doing before they started. That kinda freaked me out. Look at me. Good energy from the room during the first set, even though I had to deal with a few songs I don’t care for.

My personal highlights for the night were the jam and transition from Number Line to 20 Years Later and the Halley’s >Rock N Roll. I don’t think I would call that a segue since there seemed to be a millisecond stop/star between the two but it sounded like it was nailed on both ends. Yes, yes Dinghy, I know what I did there. Obviously Harpua sent the place bonkers. I havent witnessed a reaction like that since the 2nd Unbroken Chain in 1995. Crowd sing-a-long for the most part and it worked from my vantage point. I Kissed A Girl will sound terrible on disc but that's not neither here nor there. It was about the moment, which made us laugh. But yeah, it sucked.

Last night finally proved to me in a live setting that I’m not a fan of Trey’s new tone. For further analysis simply listen to any Chalkdust Torture from this summer. Its far too piercing and not gritty enough. That being said, I thought Mike was thundering once they figured him out for the venue. Oh yeah, I walked out towards the end of Antelope so I could hit the can before the mad rush and was disturbingly surprised how low the volume level was on the top portion of the lawn. I figured I would still be well into the song but I had to stop to listen to the end, which was basically the crowd softly singing the final line. Very strange.

Here are some of my pics.

2n7eb0o.jpg

20rtzeq.jpg

2l9h35f.jpg

n7wg1.jpg

2wrp99u.jpg

Oh my God, I cant believe I didnt mention how incredible Kuroda's light show was last night. I wish I could describe what he was doing in that last picture above.

If I ever lose my hearing, knock on wood, (or get sick of listening to the band) I will still go to Phish concerts.

The strobe light effects on the monitors,drums,keyboards were incredible. Best I have ever seen. In fact, I think that was the best I have ever seen from him minus 2001 from the Gorge in 1997. MattyC described it best when he said at times it looked like a cartoon stage even though we were sober.

Edit to add: I just spoke with Ollie and got the sense my recap of the show might have come off more negative than I intended.

Edited by Guest

Oh my God, I cant believe I didnt mention how incredible Kuroda's light show was last night. I wish I could describe what he was doing in that last picture above.

If I ever lose my hearing, knock on wood, (or get sick of listening to the band) I will still go to Phish concerts.

The strobe light effects on the monitors,drums,keyboards were incredible. Best I have ever seen. In fact, I think that was the best I have ever seen from him minus 2001 from the Gorge in 1997. MattyC described it best when he said at times it looked like a cartoon stage even though we were sober.

Edit to add: I just spoke with Ollie and got the sense my recap of the show might have come off more negative than I intended.

Hey Booche,

Steve, Evans and I saw you in the parking lot after the show and I called out your name to which you looked around and continued walking.

We were trying to get into the line of traffic and lost you as you walked away.

Oh well. Next time.

Peace,

Tim

Shiiiiiiiiit, I wasnt that crazy afterall. I knew I heard my name. Thanks!

Having been at SPAC a few times now I have learned to get a head start on the crowd, else be trapped and move sloooooooooowly ahead. I always begin making my way out during the encore break. That's one more thing I love about the balcony at SPAC. You can still enjoy the encore and get a massive head start.

Loved it.

Personal highlight for me was Halley's into Rock and Roll, but the place went absolutely ape for Harpua. Definitely the biggest Phish bustout I've ever seen, and you don't often see a crowd at any show explode like that. The encore was anti-climatic, but we were pretty wiped by then anyway.

We were towards the back of the lower pavillion, Page side, and were glad to be inside. I love the SPAC lawn for mellower shows, but when they way oversell the place it's nice to have some space inside.

At the end of the day, a little of everything that makes Phish shows great. Nice one.