Jambands.ca

Breakfast ideas for a large crew?

jaybone

Guest Low Roller

I once cooked for 85 guys at a World Scout Jamboree. The one thing that kept me from insanity was self-make foods:

- Everyone can spread their own jam on a piece of bread. (Not white bread, since that falls apart if not toasted. Toasting takes a while, but if you have time, fill up a couple of baking sheets and put them in the oven.

- Everyone can pour their own bowl of cereal. Have two or three boxes open on the table.

If you want to make food in bulk for them, oatmeal is really easy to make in volume. Throw some raisins or other dried fruits in there and you have a tasty and nutritious breakfast.

Do not even attempt anything that requires multiple steps or takes up precious real estate like pancakes or french toast.

Will you have an oven? You can probably make a fake-quiche by taking some self-rising yeast, rolling it out real thin, butter it up, cover the base and sides of a pyrex, mix in 20 eggs, add salt, pepper, spinach, shredded cheese, cream, bacon, and diced tomatoes, and bake that bad boy until you have egg cake.

You can bake trays of bacon Epic Meal Time style if you want. Much faster than frying it up on a pan, but can get the cottage real smokey.

Get a couple of large, restaurant buffet style hot liquid dispensers for tea and coffee.

Fruit cups are ready-made and a tasty finish.

Best also not to try and serve the food as it might take forever. Set up a buffet, and let everyone serve themselves. That way you can spend precious minutes cleaning the kitchen rather than doing it later.

Set up a dirty dish duty schedule ahead of time as well. Keeps things organized and ensures that everyone pulls their weight.

The "cottage" I'm at is fully set up. 8 burner stove- two ovens two dishwasher plus outdoor kitchen.

The crew are all foodies but I have to think of the kiddies as well. A few quiches might be a good idea. Maybe just make a bunch of egg wraps with some options.

Serve the corn flakes in a hand blown glass vase. Tell the guests that they are about to go on a journey, inform them that the flakes are made from organic Seneca Arrowhead corn picked by the Hopi people, with every flake being hand glazed with a manuka honey reduction and tempered with the slightest whisp of Goan lime and baked in a solar oven. They'll love it.

I once cooked for 85 guys at a World Scout Jamboree.

For some reason I'm picturing this, with you as Ed Norton.

moonrise-kingdom-16-05-2012-7-g.jpg

When we've done a large group at the cottage (10 or so), it's been breakfast casseroles (prep night before), fruit salads, toasts (couple different breads), french toast fingers (for the kids). A couple different beverage choices (juices, teas, coffee, booze etc). With options for cereal, peameal bacon, eggs etc.

Guest Low Roller
Serve the corn flakes in a hand blown glass vase. Tell the guests that they are about to go on a journey, inform them that the flakes are made from organic Seneca Arrowhead corn picked by the Hopi people, with every flake being hand glazed with a manuka honey reduction and tempered with the slightest whisp of Goan lime and baked in a solar oven. They'll love it.

Genius.

Serve the corn flakes in a hand blown glass vase. Tell the guests that they are about to go on a journey' date=' inform them that the flakes are made from organic Seneca Arrowhead corn picked by the Hopi people, with every flake being hand glazed with a manuka honey reduction and tempered with the slightest whisp of Goan lime and baked in a solar oven. They'll love it.[/quote']

Lol!!!! Pure Gold

• 1 year later...