Jambands.ca

Phish in Vermont this summer?

Vermontdave

From the Burlington Free Press

Phish might bring its mammoth summer concert back home.

The Vermont jam band is considering a concert at the Newport State Airport in Coventry, possibly in mid-August. The weekend could attract 40,000-60,000 fans and bring $10-$30 million to the Northeast Kingdom economy, said Rich Turner, aviation program manager for the Vermont Agency of Transportation.

"We're very hopeful, especially considering the economic impact," said Turner, who received verbal approval for the plan Wednsday from the Federal Aviation Administration. The state and the town will also have to give the go-ahead. Turner acknowledged that traffic in and out of the rural airport is "one of the biggest issues."

Phish, one of the most popular touring bands in the U.S., gave large concerts at the Sugarbush Resort in the mid-1990's, but outgrew thyat venue and has since held summer shows at former air bases in N.Y and Maine.

Great Northeast Productions, the Mass. concert promoter that has organized those shows, is working on the Coventry option.

"It's one site we're looking at. It's not the only place we're looking at," said president Dave Werlin. He sai it's too early to say if the event will be held in Coventry. "We're in like the second or third inning."

I think the number estimates might be a little low, but this would be pretty sweet. It's been too long since those fellas have done a gig on the home turf.

peace

This post got me to thinkin'...Where did the Dead play in Vermont? Yes, I know it was in Highgate, lots of grass, real sandy where we parked, but where was I? Was it an airport? Open field? Actual venue?

As for Phish, I agree Dave those estimates seem a little low, I think Phish will get a huge crowd in VT.

Archived