Jambands.ca

"The 21st Century Doors" - ding-dongs!

MarcO

Former Police Drummer Suing The Doors

Copeland Claiming Breach Of Oral Contract

POSTED: 10:57 a.m. EST March 12, 2003

The Doors have allegedly shut out former Police drummer Stewart Copeland -- and he's suing them for it.

Copeland has filed a $1 million lawsuit against the classic rock group's keyboardist Ray Manzarek and guitarist Robby Krieger, claiming they breached an oral contract to use him on upcoming concert tour and album.

Renaming themselves The Doors 21st Century, the band formally announced last September that Copeland would be taking over for original Doors drummer John Densmore.

A few days later the group re-formed for the first time in 30 years, with Cult lead singer Ian Astbury taking over for the late Jim Morrison on lead vocals to play two Harley Davidson 100th anniversary celebration tour shows.

Copeland injured himself last November and aggravated that injury during the band's Jan. 19 show in Las Vegas. Drummer Ty Dennis has been filling in recently.

According to the band's Web site, the next tour leg begins March 26 in Phoenix. The band's homepage features bios or Manzarek, Krieger and Astbury, but Copeland's is absent. He is, however, featured in photos throughout the site and in news releases about the band.

There has been no comment from lawyers for Copeland, Manzarek or Krieger on the lawsuit.

Copeland reunited with former Police bandmates Sting and Andy Summers in New York Monday night to be inducted into the Rock and Hall of Fame. The band then played for the first time together in 18 years at the ceremony, performing such hits as "Roxanne" and "Every Breathe You Take."

Man those dudes are making such a mockery out of themselves. They need to grow up and decide to either play or not play.

I finally talked to someone who hit the Doors shows at Molson Park, this fall. He said the show was actually really good. Kreiger and Manzerik were playing great, Copeland of course was great, and Ian Ashtbury, while playing the role a little bit with wearing leather pants etc. was actually pretty good.

quote:

Originally posted by Jaimoe:

My name's Jaimoe, and even my Allman Brothers ain't as bad as Ray " I Love Jim Morrison Way Too Much Not To Be Called Gay" Manzarek's version of The Doors.

HAHAHAHA...Ha..hahah...ha

(that almost made beer come out my nose)

Ray and Robbie are the talent, but Densmore's right.

Archived