Jambands.ca

JSB @ Cafe Dekcuf AUGUST 13

doubleB

Last night was so much fun! I found myself pre-occupied with the constant voice in my head reminding me of my 8:30 meeting this morning. “Now Ms. Hux…” it would say “there are just some nights where you must be responsible and sacrifice fun for maturity.” To which I found myself responding “YEAH, but $2.50 drinks!!!!” Nothing good ever comes from $2.50 drinks and it had been a few years since I put the rum in me. They hit me pretty good.

I’ve said it before and I will say it again, Dekcuf is such a great room. It holds memories of such fun times, it’s intimate and it sounds great. Last night was no exception. PERFECT mix of the sound especially during second set when the keyboard player stepped up a bit more. It was packed for any night of the week, but the fact that it was Tuesday was amazing. I commend everyone who made the effort to come out and support Canadian talent on a Tuesday.

Jimmy Swift Band are quite the professionals. They captured the audience from the first hum of the guitar. They are extremely tight, with no long breaks between songs. Just BAM right into the next one. I think they have a good working formula. They Name all their songs, they play funky-rock in the first set reserving the space-trip-jams for the second set. They announce several times that we should stick around because second set in nothing like the first and you can really tell that their passion in set two. They try to convince you to stay and then they tear it up and make you glad that you did. They have very catchy songs. That “Oh Yeah” song gets my head bobbing every time. Last night they introduced it as “That old song, Oh Yeah” so perhaps they may be getting a bit tired of performing it all over the country, but I still rather enjoy it. They are animated and physically into the groove which also makes them interesting to watch. Great performers

One thing I noticed with JSB is that they allow the crowd the space and time that is needed to really grab hold of the rhythm and patterns of the jam. They don’t rush things. Just when you feel the most that you can feel with the level they are playing they insert a quick pause and kick it up a notch. They increase the tempo or the volume or add another layer, building the sound and participative energy of the audience. It is damn near impossible to be still at a JSB show.

I enjoyed the lights last night. When the light dude at Dekcuf pays attention to the show and gets into it, it is a very good thing.

Guest Low Roller

I remember a thread that was going on here about favorite shows of the year so far. I made a nice little list of my favorite shows, but I didn't declare a uncontested winner. Well FUCK.THAT! Last night was the most energetic show I have experienced in a loooong time and EASILY the winner of show of the year for me.

The first set was filled with some pop-rock tunes, that kinda had me bobbing my head. At the time, I wasn't seeing the big deal about these guys. The Pigs cover was awesome though.

Then the second set happened and I was not prepared at all. I witnessed JSB take the show to the next level and created the most serious beats since my last visit to the Montreal rave scene. To say I was shocked would be an understatement. I was repeating the phrase "what the hell is happening?" to myself over and over again. I eventually just had to sit down.

Even once the show was over, I was so awestruck by JSB, that the experience of that night induced my first lucid dream in possibly 10 years. I just kept trippin' 'till the dawn. But that's a story for another time.

GREAT SHOW!

I didn't really know what to expect of them cause I'd never had the opportunity to see them. I did my customary research beforehand, downloading as much of their music as possible and I found it to be above average, but nothing out of the ordinary. But the beauty of JSB is obviously in the incredible energy their show has. I thought the first set was average and they really didn't do much that I haven't seen before, but then the second set knocked me on my ass and wouldn't let me off the floor. They threw in some Daft Punk and even some 2001 to finish it all off. Just unbelievable.

Now they willl know we were here!!!!

Shit Yeah! The will know by the footprints on my ass!!!

That last tune was so fucking amazing and exhausting...... it was almost mercifull when it ended..... no encore requested.... I just want to sit down!!! OHHHHHHHH YEAHHHHHHH

JSB are back October 15 @ the Cafe Dekcuf....