Jambands.ca

Comfort Zone this Friday - Laketrout & GTB!!!

mark tonin

Once again, the Comfort Zone is bringing us a cool "bigger" show ... this time a double bill with Laketrout from the U.S. (Baltimore) and Grand Theft Bus. Let's show up for this one and show the Comfort Zone that we like it when they roll the dice on a bigger show.

Here is the recent email that I got from the Comfort Zone about the show:

Hey fellow music lovers,

Just wanted to let you know about an upcoming concert you may want to be

aware of at The Comfort Zone, 480 Spadina Avenue, Toronto -

LAKE TROUT w/Grand Theft Bus - 10 pm

Friday, October 25, 2002 - tix $10

LAKE TROUT'S LONG-AWAITED TORONTO APPEARANCE

(TORONTO) - Up from Baltimore, SNS recording artists LAKE TROUT will perform a show on Friday, October 25th at THE COMFORT ZONE (480 Spadina Avenue). Tickets are $10 day of show and doors open at 9PM. For more

information, call (416) 975-0909.

Although originally lumped together with many of the so-called jam bands, Lake Trout's sound, mixing elements of myriad contemporary styles, developed around a harder-edged progressive indie rock attack. Formed while band members were attending music school in Baltimore in the mid-'90s, the

quintet featured Woody Ranere on vocals and guitar, Ed Harris on guitar, Mike Lowry on drums, James Griffith on electric bass, and Matt Pierce on keyboards, flute, and vocals.

Their early sound - which combined jazz with hip-hop, drawing on the work of A Tribe Called Quest, Beck, Pat Martino, and Al Green - was documented on a self-titled record, released by SNS Records. Soon after the album's

release, the band was introduced to drum'n'bass and electronic music in

general. The sound began to creep its way into the band's approach. This resulted in their second album for SNS, Volume for the Rest of It.

The band soon found like-minded spirits in the jam band scene, with groups like the Disco Biscuits, Sound Tribe Sector 9, and the New Deal all experimenting with the integration of electronic elements into their respective aesthetics. Lake Trout briefly signed with a jam band-based label, Phoenix Rising, on which they released Alone At Last, a live album

recorded in December 1999 in Virginia, capturing a set performed with DJ

Who, who appeared frequently with the band.

What separated the band from other jam bands was their commitment to

repetitive minimalism, a trait drawn more from Philip Glass and Steve Reich than Phish and the Grateful Dead. Lake Trout was able to build pieces of music slowly and thoughtfully. This was thanks to a strange combination of

the fast-and-propulsive breakbeat drumming of Lowry and the patient pattern

playing of Harris.

By early 2001, the group was beginning to integrate more traditionally rock & roll influences (as were many of their contemporaries). While not abandoning the live electronic elements, Lake Trout befriended bands like the Cancer Conspiracy and Dismemberment Plan. By mid-2002, they had

produced Another One Lost - a record of dark, Radiohead-like mood explorations - which they released independently.

Lake Trout will be making their first Toronto appearance at The Comfort Zone in Toronto on October 25th. Riding the high of being showcased on Much Music's "Going Coastal" program in August, Fredericton natives Grand

Theft Bus will be releasing their debut album "Birth of Confusion" at The

Comfort Zone on the same night. GTB will open the night at 10PM, followed

well into the night by Lake Trout. Doors @ 9PM, Tickets $10 @ Door.

For information, call 416-763-9139 or visit www.laketrout.com,

www.grandtheftbus.com or www.comfortzoneto.com

I'm heading to the show with 3 other people from Kitchener ... it is going to be a sweet show!

I picked up a copy of the new GTB cd on Wednesday ... I haven't had a chance to listen to the whole thing yet but what I've heard so far sounds absolutely fantastic ... get a copy of the cd!!!

Peace, Mark

Disappointing ... at least I was, and so were the 3 people that I went with.

As I said in my post "Nice Bus Ride, Lousy Trout Dinner" I made the trip with 3 friends to the Grand Theft Bus/Laketrout show at the Comfort Zone in Toronto. It was my third Bus ride, and I look forward to the next one. But I won't have the Trout for dinner again ... as much as I wanted it to taste good, it didn't.

I had only heard one Lake Trout song before, and to be truthful, I didn't really know what to expect, which was part of the appeal for me. I had heard from a few friends that they have changed their sound over the course of their career, so I was prepared for something different. Having said that, I was hoping that the something different would mean that I would be pleasantly surprised, or better yet, blown away.

The Bus opened and by the end of their set I saw a lot of smiling faces and dancing bodies, and the vibe in the room was nice.

Laketrout was different ... definitely not a jam/groove band ... which is ok ... I do listen to a pretty wide range of music. They just didn't do it for me. It was too loud, very dark and abrasive at times, and I could not make out any of the lyrics being sung (or yelled). It reminded of of a loud alternative rock band at times, and a few times their songs sounded like muddy U2 songs. There were a couple of songs that did impress me, but for the most part, the band did not do it for me. I wouldn't go and see them again, that's for sure.

But it was cool to meet bsherman [Cool]

What did other people think of the show?

Peace, Mark

oh man, Lake Trout by far get the award for biggest BUZZKILL of the year. The way they blended drum 'n bass with there alterna-jam shtick was a fucking joke. The guys were way too cocky on stage ripping off this band called Trans Am.

As for GTB, they've improved greatly since I saw them the 1st time at their Halifax debut years ago. These guys are going somewhere; but Lake Trout, double bleh!!! [Mad]

I thought the Bus smoked,wish they could of played longer,I had work the door on wed show so I didnt get to give er like I wanted,then The comfort zone I was able to give er(shortly)but it was killer.Lake Trout on the other hand messed my head up(meght of been the E)but I really didnt care for it,nice and disturbing,but probally would have been better if they were somewhere else,maybe opening for D&T might have worked?But the Bus rocked,love that band.

Glad I got a chance to see GTB for the first time - good thing they opened or I would've totally felt my $10 was a total waste 'cause that trout was stinky. I've heard some older samples of LT and they did NOT sound like that, I also didn't find them enjoyable to watch.

Guess they won't be coming back...

GTB opening for Lake Trout. it should've been the other way around. GTB played a good set people were diggin it. Then LT came out in the first song I had to leave the sound was so bad and loud that i ran the other way, i've never seen that many people hangin out in the back on the cozo be for. They did a some ok stuff on stage, but they really sounded like a bunch on other bands U2 without the vocal, JMP without the mandelin D&T without the tuba. not to my liking at all

Ok, I must have been a lot drunker than I thought because I actually thought Lake Trout weren't bad...........but then again, I like a pretty diverse range of music and don't automatically dislike a band because they are not a jamband.

Anyway, if they were playing again sometime, I would go see them. But that's just my Lil ol opinion.

[big Grin]

quote:

i wouldn't dare listening to anything that wasn't a jamband.

Your more than obvious sarcasm was duly noted show_whore. I just find that sometimes people get too caught up in the jamband scene and forget about a lot of other good music and genres. I wasn't specifically targeting anyone so please....spare the remarks for someone else?

[big Grin]