Jambands.ca

Galactic - June 27th - The Operahouse - T.O.

NewRider

wow.. well I know they aren't the greatest band in history, and I've certainly seen a lot better myself. But I never thought they totally sucked! Stanton Moore is a really good drummer and I've always found the rest of the band mediocre. Is it something about them that makes them sound all that bad to you or is it just disappointment from hype?

I have four of their albums and I like them all. I think it comes down to band dynamics and setlist choices.

For instance, I've seen them where Jeff Raines is nothing more than a mediocre rhythm guitarist without an idenity. At another time, I wanted Houseman to bail out an emotionless Galactic - to create a change of attitude and pace within the band and to awaken the lifeless audience.

I don't like Houseman either, but he is effective when it comes down to kicking the audience and band in the pants, for good reasons, or bad.

Given, the rest of the band are good musicians and Stanton Moore is a stand-out drummer, but they have never delivered the goods when I've seen them.

I'm going to take a break from them for awhile. I've done the same thing with GTB, and this hiatus is going to end the next time they hit Toronto, when I'm off.

I'd like to add that I've seen Galactic at The Opera House once, and it is not a good venue for their sound dynamics.

When I saw them there a few years ago, I could barely hear Stanton Moore(WTF?!!!) and bassist Rob Mercurio for most of the first set. When the better Set II came around, I didn't care anymore. Neither did the throng of friends that I brought with me.

Opera House acoustics with Galactic = ? and or a disappointing evening.

I have witnessed Galactic twice and both times have been at Bonnaroo. Now I don't know if it was the atmosphere of the event, but I thought both shows were quite good.

Yes they are not the best band in the world but they are a good time for a reasonable price. I might pass this show by or I might go, I have yet to decide. This isn't because I don't want to see Galactic, I do. It's just I'm going to way too many shows this summer already, and the summer hasn't even started yet.

I'm dissapointed that Scofield is playing the same night.. I'm on the fence, if it was The Uberjam Band I'd be at the Scofield show...for sure, but it's a jazzy trio Steve Swallow and Bill Stewart .. so now I'm torn. We'll just have to convince Sco to show up and kick start the party.

Well I just saw Galactic twice last week and let me tell you they were on fire. Maybe it was the fact that they were playing in their home town, or maybe it was because it was jazz fest in New Orleans. Either way they were smokin' and I'll definitely be at this Toronto show.

additional info... the show is 19+

booooo :(

i could probably get in with my I.D. but I have alot of friends who are big Galactic fans and wont be able to attend . . . luckily sco is that night, though.

i realy want to see these guys in a small venue, i thought they blew at the amphitheatre with B.B. last year.