Jambands.ca

heady computer help needed

DevO

so my computer has been acting up for the last, ohh, 6 months.. its just the internet side of things. i can't do things like:

- attach a file to an email in hotmail

- upload an image from my computer to use as a custom avatar

it usually just times out, or i get a dns error message.. it just can't handle it! actually i get 'time out's quite often.. i've checked to see if i need to defragment and it says i don't. my virus checker program says i'm ok, though i've quarantined many small pesky email viruses over the year. does anyone have any words of wisdom for me please?

Start with the simple stuff:

- are you running out of space on your harddrive?

- delete your temporary internet files and cookies

- power cycle the modem

- check your proxy server settings

- check your network card settings

That's the extent of my typing for pre-7am (((yawn)))

Do you have DSL? Try this. It worked for me. I had problems with my internet connection "hanging" every two minutes or so.

1. Right click on Network Neighborhood (My Network places)

2. Choose "Properties"

3. A new window will open

4. Highlight the TCP/IP bound to the Ethernet card that is connected to the

DSL Modem

5. Click "Properties"

6. Choose the "IP Address" tab, specify, type 192.168.0.15

7. Set the subnet mask to 255.255.255.0

8. "OK"

Ummmm... I'm not sure I'd fuck with my IP address like that.

My suggestions (in addition to Douglas' above) would be to download AdAware, set it to search everything, and run it repeatedly and reboot until it comes up with nothing. Then, download SpyBot Search & Destroy, set it to search everything, and run it repeatedly until it comes up with nothing. Next, let's check your registry:

Run "regedit" from Start | Run...

Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Everything you see in the right panel is running everytime you boot your system. I'd recommed looking up what each one is and deciding if you really want it running every time. I would definitely get rid of all the 'helper' taskbar apps like WinAmp, Quicktime, RealPlayer, etc. Post your list here if you want and I'll see if I can help.

I don't think that binding your IP to a private IP address is going to fix anything, 192.168.*.* are IPs reserved for any home network, and don't work as actual internet IPs.

From what I can tell, your computer seems to be blocking the ports that would allow you to upload anything (though your web browsing port #80 must be open if you can browse online). This is probably due to a firewall on your system, or lying somewhere between you and 'the internet'.

If you're pretty certain that you don't have a firewall like Norton Internet security installed, then check out your network settings (Settings -> control panel -> network connections), right click on the network card bound to your cable/DSL modem and select properties. Choose the advanced tab in the top right of the window that appears and if "Internet Connection Firewall" is checked, uncheck it and see if your email attachments work.

are you running behind a router? Or directly to your modem?

the suggestions above, minus the ip suggestion, sound good.

if you ARE behind a router, setting it to a static address, and then forwarding the packets required might work.

Willy, if i'm not mistaken, you can't port foreward with dhcp running, can ya?

If thats the case, maybe your trying to forward the packets, and have it setup correctly, but are running dhcp, thus creating the problem.

Oh ye of little faith...

The fix I posted worked like a charm for my specific problem. Here's the explanation I was given at the time:

If you don't specify an IP address then windows will try to "obtain an

IP address automatically" useing DHCP. Windows' DHCP client is pretty

resource intensive and practically locks up the network. I think that

there is some more junk happening behind the scenes. Some people have a

problem similar to yours, others don't. Regardless the above seems to

be a "fix" of sorts.

Again, this was specific to my situation and it worked. I searched for a resolution to this problem for over a year before I found it so I thought I'd throw it out there.

Edited to add: I don't have a static IP. If you do then this fix isn't for you.

hey dudes, thanks for all the help! i haven't had much time on the computer lately so i'm slowly going through your suggestions.. so far i downloaded AdAware and ran in a few times... I got rid of about 300 "objects"! Next up is SpyBot, then I'll to that Registry thing you were talkin about \/\/illy.

I'm skeptical about messin with my IP Doug.. I'll see if the other stuff works first.

I'm on DSL, if that tells you guys anything. Also I'm on what they call a "proxy". Oh and our internet cable also goes through a splitter-upper so that 3 of us can use the net at once. Also I frequently get unplugged cuz there are actually 4 computers needing internet and only 3 connections available so whoever isn't home gets unplugged.

Ok I ran AdAware and Spybot, I went into my registry as you said Willy and got rid of some crap, I deleted all temporary internet files and cleared the history, i made sure "Internet Connection Firewall" was unchecked.. its still not working.

- my computer is set so that i obtain IP address and DNS server address automatically

- DHCP is enabled

- I have something called a QoS Packet Scheduler

ANy more tips?

- my computer is set so that i obtain IP address and DNS server address automatically

- DHCP is enabled

The fact that you're splitting your connection leaves it open to a lot of possible causes but given the above, can't hurt to try my suggestion. You can always undo it.

- I have something called a QoS Packet Scheduler

Get rid of that for sure (uninstall it). QoS stands for Quality of Service and it intented to prioritize your network traffic in an attempt to improve the quality of voice-over-IP and multicast video. Dump it for sure. I've seen it cause problems before.

Who is your DSL provider? Is it Bell?