Jambands.ca

Evolve Line Up Announced...

shainhouse

From a quick glance, my reaction is that there are no surprises really and nothing too crazy, but enough of a solid line-up that I will be there! Looking forward to my first Evolve trip.

But I see what some of you mean, I was hoping for something a little more unexpected. I'm happy to see The Rheos on there, as well as Luther Wright, D&T, and a handful of the usuals (JSB, GTB, nero, BNB, etc). A bunch of them I've not heard.

As for the dj's, I have no idea who these people are except I hear rave reviews for that Bassnectar fellow. "Supporting talent" list, never heard of 'em.

I'd give that line-up a very large MEH!

What I really want to know is whether I'd be subjected to nothing but 6 stages of techno from 11pm each night until 9am each morning or will there be any stage still featuring bands through the night so I don't go snakey-ape-shit listening that that shit and watching the ravers pretend that all their drugs actually help them 'interact' with each other.

Man, you guys love to bitch... I find this pretty funny because it's the same people posting the negative vibe about Evolve on Jamhub. To each their own.

On the Canadian rave sites it's very pro-Evolve...they are estatic about the DJs: Doc Martin, Bassnectar,Simply Jeff, Intergalatic Farie Funk, Telefunk... they are even pumped about the Band line-up. You'd figure that it would be the same here.

Personally I think the line-up is great, I know that Michael Franti and Spearhead is the act that fits with EVOLVE Social and Environmental Awareness vibe, he's a true activist/artist that keeps the festival true to it's roots. He will undoubtably be the artist who drives the crowd into a frenzy... Does anybody remember the song he wrote "TV: the Drug of the Nation"?

We also got some cross over DJ/live acts; Lorin Bassnectar who plays in a side project band with Michael Kang (SCI) and has done remixes for Spearhead and SCI. Lorin Bassnectar has headlined The Burning Man, Shambala and Om Festival. Last Year DJ Simply Jeff and the Saxophonist for Booty Juice collaborated for a live/DJ set that blew people away... Intergalactic Farie Funk and Telefunk are hybrid live/electronic Music collectives that will be very interesting to see. We're expecting another Simply Jeff collaboration this year as well as many many more surprises...

I especially think one of the reasons I go and support Evolve to see all my friends on the East coast and be a part of a truly Canadian get-together.

FYI Willy: There is actually no techno at Evolve... just breaks, house and drum and bass.... and this year there will be band stages that will go all night as well... For people who need their sleep, all you have to do is plan accordingly, there are some surprisingly quiet camping areas, you just have to trek out a bit futher to find them or remember to bring earplugs!

Is that Jay C.? If so, hey dude! That's right on about the band stages. It just got a little tiring last year stumbing around all night hearing nothing but "thump-thump-thump." Please forgive my ignorance regarding the different types of DJs that will be there. I know lots of people love it but it's just not my scene.

It would've been cool to see some more funk, soul, nu jazz and hip hop inspired dj's, scratch dj's and the like mixing it up.. Turntablists that people there mainly for the bands would surely get into once exposed.. Like DJ Fase would've been a nice addition (he did that funk tour with Moses Mayes & Pocket Dwellers a few years ago), or any of the MOVEMENT dj's from Toronto - Jason Palma, Nav, Kola, etc. Or DJ Realistic from Warsawpack.

Kev those are a little too tasteful choices for Evolve. I hear what you're saying though Jay, thanks for fleshing things out a bit. Spearhead is a good choice for the ethic of the festival just not likely to motivate long distance travel. I still stand by the fact that rave culture is basically dead in the ground. If they're going to do something to change that fact more power to them I guess.

hah... that's funny, i saw lorin in victoria a couple times and met the dude, reeeeeally nice guy, and crazy long hair that gets all wild when he spins. he does some pretty neat stuff mixing cd's with vinyl in his shows (and i imagine lots of other stuff which is beyond me). still, evolve is a long trek.