Jambands.ca

what is the gun registry?

meggo

In a nutshell, the idea is: if you have firearms each is registered under your name. This includes all firearms, including those used in hunting and gaming. If you don't register your weapons, you can be charged.

The projected cost of the registry was supposed to be around $1 million but at this point it is projected to cost over $1 billion. Some people don't think it is worth it and question exactly how it can be enforced. Their further argument is that guns used in violent episodes - which is the concern at the heart of the registry - tend to be stolen or smuggled in, thereby bypassing the registry system altogether. Some in the West and the North in particular feel it is wasteful governmental meddling in their private affairs concerning their own protection and - most fundamentally - their livelihoods.

pretty much.

In Canada, since 1995, you need a license to own a gun. You needed special permission to own a "restricted weapon", which I believe means something like an automatic rifle (machine gun).

If you just had a hunting rifle or shotgun you just need a license and that was that. You didn't need to register anything.

The Gun Registry requires ALL gun owners to register their firearms with the government, regardless of the type of gun or it's purpose. This means a significant increase in the number of gun owners who were never subjected to controls to now be subjected to them (largely because the Government didn't know what you had).

My understanding is that the biggest complaint on the gun registry is the cost. When it was initially brought before the house the Liberals said it would cost $119 million dollars. But there is a fee to register your gun and those fees would cover $117 million, there by leaving $2 million to be covered by the taxpayers.

The Auditor General, however, revealed that the Department of Justice figured it would cost more like $2 billion and $140 million will be collected in fees.. so.. a bit more expensive than originally presented.

I agree though, I think a list of guns in our country is good.

*EDIT* ummm.. yeah.. what Chad said

I think that's why you beat me to the answer.. I went to get the exact figures :)

a buddy of mine used to work for the company hired to set up the database.. apparently they got at least 10 hate emails a day and two or three hate snail mails a week.. plus a bomb scare or two..

crazy people everywhere

guess I'm supposed to register my AK-47 and my RPG launcher ::

"what do you need those for?"

"homeland security."

(kidding, no guns here. my dad's buddy shot and killed a neighbour in front of him by accident when they were kids so I was raised anti-gun. If Harper gets in I may alter my belief system though for the reason listed above. Not to be safe from terrorists but to be safe from Americans (the better armed terrorists)

I think these laws need to be re-evaluated. The only people who think the firearm laws are good are people it doesn't affect...people who don't hunt...

(there is no more control over firearms now then before)!

the laws certainly don't affect me. I like the idea behind it but I don't know how it would affect someone with a hunting rifle who hunts as a means of income.

I do know that it's not an election issue with me, except for maybe the killer cost.

sorry posted that too soon...

My family has some old double barrel shotguns that will be/are heirlooms and can't be passed down from one generation to the other in some cases which is making a lot of people really upset....(not me but I understand why they would be)

If Harper gets in I may alter my belief system though for the reason listed above. Not to be safe from terrorists but to be safe from Americans (the better armed terrorists)

Seriously Paisley, you must be a fuckin' idiot... I guess you've stopped listening to the Dead, since they're Americans (and therefore terrorists)... Same with Phish and every other American band you listen to. Wouldn't want to support the terrorists... These general "I hate Americans" statements speaks to the intelligence of those saying those statements... I'll be the first to jump up and speak out against the actions of the American government, but to call all Americans assholes, terrorists, or the like is like saying all Canadians are polite... And I'm sure we all know some asshole Canadians... It's funny, because I have met more Americans who are completely against the actions of G.W. than I have Americans who support Dubya. Use your head before saying blanket statements against any country, race or culture; it does nothing but breed contempt and hatred. And as everyone knows, all of us hippies are all about love and peace, right? ;)

The registry should be for all hand guns currently owned, and for every gun purchased from herein out whether it be for recreational purposes (rifle) or for protection (hand gun). But the key problem is enforcement. What is the government going to do? Get a list of serial numbers from manufacturers and hunt down every person who bought a weapon that isn't registered? How would they track these people down with no original registry? I just can't believe that it took until 1995 for Canada to get a registry to begin with. That's sad.

sorry to offend Del, you are correct

I've made many comments on the board saying that I love Americans but hate the current American government... besides that I was exaggerating (kidding) about how bad things might become with Conservatives in power here with Republicans in power in the states... thought you might know me a little better than that from our late night banters

your point does illustrate exactly how bin Laden living in Afghanistan doesn't make the average Afghani a terrorist by any means (thereby not deserving to be bombed or shot)

Didn't mean to get ugly there dude, but the anti-American sentiment on this board is at an all time high... I do know you better than that, which is why I was so shocked at the statement you made... If people can bitch over something as small as a setlist change or a flub, I think I should be allowed to stand up for Americans, especially since some of my best friends are from there...